Abigail Day's Reviews > All the Bright Places

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

"Everyone goes on with their lives, and maybe I can't keep up."

At first, I didn't like either main character... Violet felt bland and Finch was annoyingly persistent. I was worried it was going to be another cookie-cutter YA contemporary with mental illness. But I found myself connecting to them somehow, and the story became something so sweet and delicate, and even though I've had no real experience with grief or bipolar, the emotions and the actions felt genuine to me. I loved how they were able to express themselves better by writing something. Over the course of the story I started to see where things were headed, and I really hoped it would not be so and that everything turns out okay. That was wrong, I was naive, and I cried. But I loved how Finch helped Violet even though he couldn't help his own illness. Violet really grew as a character and, in the end, accepted her mental health and grief which I took as the main lesson from this story.

The romanticisation of mental illness got under my skin a few times, and the romance was cringey at times, but I guess that's just part of YA romantic contemporaries.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Bright Places.

March 8, 2019 – Started Reading