Betül's Reviews > The First Girl Child

The First Girl Child by Amy Harmon

bookshelves: 2019, arc, fantasy, netgalley, reviewed

**ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review**
description

First of all, I want to say that I love that Amy Harmon decided to write a Fantasy novel. She is one of the most well-rounded authors and can write, in my opinion, in any genre she wants. I don't read a lot of Fantasy novels because I find the story-building sometimes a bit complicated. You get a lot of information in a small time of frame, and it is difficult to absorb all of it. However, I never got that feeling from The First Girl Child. Amy's writing is always very easy to read, and has a great flow. I was teleported to Saylok and I felt like I was really living in that Kingdom. I loved all the characters and their relationships. The secondary characters felt as important as the main characters. They all played a very important role in the book, so I was happy that the author included their POVs.

The romance aspect is a bit in the background, which I surprisingly didn't mind too much. However, I would've wanted this to be part of a series instead of a stand-alone. I think there is still so much to explore in this world, and I am very intrigued by it. The last quarter just flew by and the book was finished before I knew it. So that felt a bit rushed because a lot of things happened towards the end, and I think the author could've taken more time to spread it out a bit more. It even made me wonder if there would be a cliffhanger at the end, which I wouldn't have minded. But unfortunately no, it has an ending. I am happy that Amy included an epilogue, but I wish it was longer. I really liked this book and I hope that Amy will decide to revisit this world/genre in the near future, because I love the characters and I really hope that some of them get their own book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Girl Child.

March 9, 2019 – Shelved
July 10, 2019 –
July 11, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
July 11, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed
July 11, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️ Great review, love!!! xoxo

Betül Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️ wrote: "Great review, love!!! xoxo"

Thank you, Danielle!

Carlene Inspired This review!! I want to read this now! xx

Betül Carlene Inspired wrote: "This review!! I want to read this now! xx"

So happy to hear that! I hope you enjoy this book when you read it.

message 5: by Corina (new) - added it

Corina I can't believe I had this book on my kindle for so long, and still haven't picked it up - sigh

Betül Corina☞BookTwinsReviews wrote: "I can't believe I had this book on my kindle for so long, and still haven't picked it up - sigh"

The same here. But after not being able to find my next read, I decided to go through all my Netgalley ARCs. And this one was releasing the earliest. :P