Petrik's Reviews > Spaceside

Spaceside by Michael Mammay

bookshelves: owned-ebooks

ARC provided by the publisher—Harper Voyager—in exchange for an honest review.

I can’t emphasize this highly enough: if you enjoyed reading Planetside, you will most likely enjoy Spaceside too.

Spaceside is the second book in Michael Mammay’s Planetside series. Although the first book worked totally well as a standalone, I’m glad there’s a continuation because I was left wanting more after the ending of the first book. More than a year has passed, Colonel Butler is trying his best to live with the burden of the life-changing action he did at the end of Planetside. Even though Butler has been forced into retirement because of it, this doesn’t mean that he can take a break. In this installment, Butler’s task to investigate a hacking ended up escalating much bigger than he expected.

“A wise man once told me that hope is not a great planning tool.”

I can safely say that pretty much everything that was great about the first book remained intact here; intriguing mystery written with a thrilling feels that won’t allow me to catch a break persisted throughout the entirety of the plot. Same as its Planetside, Spaceside can be described as a mystery thriller in a military sci-fi setting. The one thing that’s clearly upgraded from the previous book was the more in-depth characterizations of the main character. Spaceside, understandably, felt more intimate. The author efficiently displayed Butler’s internal conflicts; seeing a man of action like him coping with the consequences of his actions and facing paranoia from his past gave a personal tone to the narration that made the characters more fleshed out.

“Taking charge and moving forward always beat sitting still and waiting for others to act.”

Reading Mammay’s prose was damn addictive. I recently binged read War for the Rose Throne by Peter McLean and I do believe that the reading experience offered within Mammay’s storytelling style is similar to that series; except that this in a sci-fi setting instead of fantasy. Don’t get me wrong here, the story, setting, and writing itself were vastly different from each other. However, the prose, pacing, and the main character of these two series combined to give a fast-paced narrative that doesn’t neglect characterizations.

“Your whole life you do big, important things. You speak and people listen. Then suddenly that’s over, and you’re wasting your life doing some bullshit job that doesn’t matter, where nobody cares what you do as long as you show up for the company functions.”

The minor issue I had with the book was that at times I did feel like the story structure in Spaceside progressed a bit too similar to its predecessor. This, of course, is just a minor issue and overall doesn’t change the fact that I was still super engrossed by it.

“People always wanted to believe in heroes, though the truth of the stories rarely lived up to the myth.”

Spaceside is a worthy sequel to Planetside and Mammay once again successfully delivered another highly entertaining page-turner. The cleverly mixed mystery and military sci-fi element made this relatively small book packed with a strong impact, and I highly recommend it to readers who are looking for a fast-paced mystery/sci-fi read.

Official release date: August 27th, 2019

You can pre-order the book from: Amazon UK | Amazon US | Book Depository (Free shipping)

The quotes in this review were taken from an ARC and are subject to change upon publication.

You can find this and the rest of my reviews at Novel Notions

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spaceside.

March 9, 2019 – Shelved
July 23, 2019 – Started Reading
July 24, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Micah (new)

Micah Hall Did I just dream up you were read The Red Knight? Haha

message 2: by Petrik (last edited Jul 25, 2019 06:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Petrik Micah wrote: "Did I just dream up you were read The Red Knight? Haha"

Nope, I gave it a go but I wasn't in the right mood for it. The world-building and Christianity of that series really killed my immersion; it felt like I was reading a historical fiction with dragon instead of high fantasy. I loved Cameron's prose and battle scenes though, I'll most likely read his historical fiction series instead! :D

message 3: by Micah (new)

Micah Hall Petrik wrote: "Micah wrote: "Did I just dream up you were read The Red Knight? Haha"

Haha sorry to highjack this review lol I was curious to see how you felt about it bc opinions are so varied (some comparing to Malazan or ASOIF). Thanks for letting me know!

message 4: by William (new)

William E. Cameron's historical fiction series are fantastic. William Gold is my favorite (Hundred Years War) but his Marathon series is top notch Ancient Greek historical fiction. God I love that man.

Petrik Micah wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Micah wrote: "Did I just dream up you were read The Red Knight? Haha"

No worries at all! I just prefer my epic/high fantasy read to not be in our world; I prefer reading urban fantasy/historical fantasy when I really want that! Hmm I don't really the similarities yet but who knows, I stopped around 30% iirc xD

message 6: by Petrik (last edited Jul 25, 2019 08:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Petrik William wrote: "Cameron's historical fiction series are fantastic. William Gold is my favorite (Hundred Years War) but his Marathon series is top notch Ancient Greek historical fiction. God I love that man."

I haven't read any of Cameron's historical fiction but I have two of his historical fiction series on my list: Chilvary and Long War. I guess that's what you mean too by William Gold and Marathon? His Chivalry in particular is one of my priority for next year because he said it will be six books long and it will be done by next year, so I might as well wait. :)

message 7: by William (new)

William E. Petrik wrote: "William wrote: "Cameron's historical fiction series are fantastic. William Gold is my favorite (Hundred Years War) but his Marathon series is top notch Ancient Greek historical fiction. God I love ..."

Yes! Those are my two favorite. Chivalry is just about the perfect series for my reading tastes.

Petrik William wrote: "Petrik wrote: "William wrote: "Cameron's historical fiction series are fantastic. William Gold is my favorite (Hundred Years War) but his Marathon series is top notch Ancient Greek historical ficti..."

I look forward to them! :)

message 9: by Henrik (new)

Henrik Great review Petrik, keep up the good work 👍

Petrik Henrik wrote: "Great review Petrik, keep up the good work 👍"

Thank you, Henrik! :)