Noa ☾'s Reviews > Heroine

Heroine by Mindy McGinnis

bookshelves: 2019-releases, arcs, books-that-gave-me-chills, read-in-2019, young-adult, reviewed

tw: addiction, substance abuse (heroine, oxy). Heroine is REALLY GRAPHIC and I urge you NOT TO READ THIS if you’re not in a good place.​

(ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for a honest review)

I honestly don't know if I have the words right now. This was... heartbreaking, raw, sad and yet hopeful ?

Heroine tells the story of Mickey, a softball player, who gets into a car accident. An “innocent” prescription of Oxycontin makes Mickey want to “chase the dragon” meaning she wants to feel again the bliss of taking that first pill. But it’s never enough.

Heroine was a hard book to read for me. It’s raw and brutal. I’m not used to reading heavy-themed books, so this was kind of a first for me. Diving into Mickey’s universe was, uncomfortable and felt wrong but I strongly believe that this is one of the reasons why this book is good.

💫Full review posted on my blog💫

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heroine.

March 9, 2019 – Shelved
March 9, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
March 10, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-releases
March 16, 2019 – Started Reading
March 17, 2019 –
22.0% "I can tell this is gonna be hard to read about"
March 26, 2019 –
March 26, 2019 – Shelved as: arcs
March 26, 2019 – Shelved as: books-that-gave-me-chills
March 26, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019
March 26, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 26, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 21, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary S. R. I'm DYING to read this 😍

Matt Tellez Yeah im a recovering heroin addict and at some parts it was hard to read and get through but i made it. What was amazing was there were points where i got lost in the story and felt like i was living it. Almost felt high from reading parts, and iv never felt that before. Sometimes i had to stop reading and take a break because it was getting rough for me. I usually can read a book in 2 day 3 max and this took me a month. Great book.