Peyton's Reviews > The Scarlet Letter

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

3642065
Feb 08, 2012

bookshelves: 5-stars
Recommended for: anyone who has felt the sting of guilt or the breath of redemption
Read from February 08 to 20, 2012 — I own a copy

A fascinating tale of guilt, sin, love, hypocrisy, faith, and what happens when they all collide. Hawthorne's slow boil of fate and inner turmoil has frustrated many a teenage student, but is a hearty stew for the mature. I believe The Scarlet Letter has suffered from being a classroom staple--by the time most people have the experience and maturity necessary to appreciate it, they only remember that it was forced upon them in high school and refuse to return.

While Hester Prynne is the novel's accepted protagonist, I believe the story more fully belongs to Arthur Dimmesdale. He is a wounded, pitiful creature too haunted to forget his guilt and too fearful to speak up about it... and that makes him all too familiar. My heart aches for the Dimmesdales of the world. They are all around us, and apparently were so even in Hawthorne's day.

The Scarlet Letter has a lot to offer this lost and lonely world. It is a shame Hawthorne's masterpiece has been overshadowed by its own fame. Many people don't know what they're missing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scarlet Letter.

05/13/2016 marked as: read