Janet's Reviews > How We Disappeared: A Novel

How We Disappeared by Jing-Jing Lee

bookshelves: 2019ng, book-club-picks, kindle
Read 2 times. Last read March 9, 2019 to March 13, 2019.

A beautiful, stunningly ambitious novel set in World War II Singapore about a woman who survived the Japanese occupation and a man who thought he had lost everything—for fans of Pachinko and We Were the Lucky Ones

Singapore, 1942. As Japanese troops sweep down Malaysia and into Singapore, a village is ransacked, leaving only two survivors and one tiny child.

In a neighbouring village, seventeen-year-old Wang Di is strapped into the back of a troop carrier and shipped off to a Japanese military brothel where she is forced into sexual slavery as a “comfort woman.” After sixty years of silence, what she saw and experienced still haunts her.

In the year 2000, twelve-year-old Kevin is sitting beside his ailing grandmother when he overhears a mumbled confession. He sets out to discover the truth, wherever it might lead, setting in motion a chain of events he never could have foreseen.

Weaving together two timelines and two very big secrets, this stunning debut opens a window on a little-known period of history, revealing the strength and bravery shown by numerous women in the face of terrible cruelty. Drawing in part on her family’s experiences, Jing-Jing Lee has crafted a profoundly moving, unforgettable novel about human resilience, the bonds of family and the courage it takes to confront the past.

The only great thing about chicken pox at age 52 (and being a super- speed reader) is you can easily read and review four+++ books a day..and this was an excellent book to have spent an hour or two (or many more on your side) with.

This is a beautiful yet brutal story that conjoined history and personal history. I cannot even imagine going through and surviving what wand Di went through: I would just burl up and die instead of surviving and going through what she went endured. The story was masterfully crafted and it is just amazing ... this is a book that is screaming to be discussed at a book club - aren't family secrets and personal histories just tragic yet juicy to talk about?

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use on Instagram and Twitter) so let's give it ☕☕☕☕☕ as you will want to stay up late and finish it so you may need the caffeine.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How We Disappeared.

Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
March 9, 2019 – Started Reading
March 9, 2019 – Shelved
March 9, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019ng
March 9, 2019 – Shelved as: book-club-picks
March 9, 2019 – Shelved as: kindle
March 13, 2019 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
March 13, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019ng (Hardcover Edition)
March 13, 2019 – Shelved as: book-club-picks (Hardcover Edition)
March 13, 2019 – Shelved as: kindle (Hardcover Edition)
March 13, 2019 – Finished Reading