Katherine (KWBookReviews.com)'s Reviews > Not Famous

Not Famous by Matthew Hanover

liked it
bookshelves: for-review, chick-lit-romance, comedy, coming-of-age

Reviewed by Katherine Williams for Reedsy

Not Famous is a romantic comedy that young adults will have no trouble relating to. The protagonist of the novel, Nick, is someone you will want to get to know. His point of view is humorous and interesting. The way he feels uncertain of his life is the way every young adult feels at some point; he has a strong voice that I enjoyed getting to know as the novel progressed. My favorite part of this novel is the characters; each character is developed well and I feel like each person has an important place in the story. Nick and Alli's relationship is refreshing and fun; their love story is not that predictable in the slightest. I like that Nick and Alli had their own interests and backstories that eventually made them grow as people. They are not the "perfect" couple and although there are many clumsy moments in their relationship, there is no doubt they help each other reach their potential.

I like this book. Matthew Hanover's writes well; his quick and natural dialogue caught my attention the most. The way the characters talk to each other is the way I would talk to my friends in real life. I also really like the setting. The story is set in Boston, and as someone who lived in the Boston area for years I enjoyed the description of the Boston music scene. There is a lot of character development as well and I feel that the plot kept my attention. Although the story mostly maintained a fast pace, I do feel there were times where the story fell a little slower. The middle of the novel overall felt sluggish to me, although I do feel it got quicker eventually, especially towards the end. The ending itself made me somewhat speechless as I was left wondering what was going to happen next. I suggest this book to anyone who is looking for an upbeat, romantic novel. This book teaches you that when you get hurt by someone, you can't let it get you down. You eventually have to learn how to trust people again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Famous.

March 9, 2019 – Started Reading