Dale Harcombe's Reviews > Fatal Inheritance

Fatal Inheritance by Rachel Rhys

liked it

Three and a half stars
1948 and Eve Forrester receives a solicitor’s letter telling her a stranger has left her a mystery inheritance. To find out what it is she has to travel to the French Rivera. Her husband Clifford is less than thrilled with letting her go but will not take time off to go with her. Eve discovers her inheritance is a quarter share in a pink villa overlooking the Mediterranean Sea. But who could have left it to her? And why? The other three heirs, all members of the Lester family, are eager to sell and less than thrilled with Eve’s appearance on the scene. Eve is determined to try and find out why she has been left a share in the house and what connection her benefactor has to her. The Lesters and her husband are upset with her decision to stay. But Eve is adamant. She receives some threats before events turn dangerous.
It took me a while to get into this novel. I’m not a huge fan of reading about the rich and privileged, especially when most of them were fairy unlikable. Eve is one who has gone from what appears a difficult, solitary childhood where she feels little love from her mother to a loveless marriage. Both her mother and Clifford are unlikable and controlling so it is a shock to them when Eve asserts herself and starts making decisions that do not fit in with their ideas. She is enjoying being part of the glamour and glitz society where she meets with famous authors and film stars. Or at least she is, until what is fun turns deadly. The longer the story progressed, the more interested I became. Towards the end tension escalates. The way the story is resolved is well handled, Eve is a likable character and the setting well conveyed. Somehow though it just didn’t grab me quite as much as I expected, but it is still an enjoyable read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fatal Inheritance.

March 8, 2019 – Started Reading
March 8, 2019 – Shelved
March 10, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex Cantone Good review. I read her A Dangerous Crossing and wasn't over-impressed, so I'll pass on this one.

Dale Harcombe Alex wrote: "Good review. I read her A Dangerous Crossing and wasn't over-impressed, so I'll pass on this one."
Thanks Alex. I haven't read that one, so maybe I will pass on it.