Gladys's Reviews > Boyfriend Maintenance

Boyfriend Maintenance by Lauren Helms

I liked Emmy and Jake's romance. The writing was good and the plot was fun. Although this is a book in the A 425 Madison Novel series it can be read easily as a standalone. I do recommend reading the other books though because they are wonderful reads. I liked Emmy for the most part but I will be honest and say that there were a couple things that bothered me about her. First, I know it worked to fit in with the series but I felt it was a huge cop out to be living in a luxury apartment when she had such strong opinions on being her own person, making it on her own and refusing her families money. I know she was paying the utilities but it did not mesh with what I felt was a realistic option for her. Second, I truly hated how she let Jake talk to and treat her. I didn't feel she owed Jake every detail of her life, especially because originally they had made a simple deal. Jake I had some big issues with. I was not a fan of his attitudes and judgements. His sanctimonious attitude about "The Rich" certainly went out the window when there was a nice check involved. Be sure to add some extra zeroes because you're rich and I'm greedy. Oh Yeah and do not forget a little bonus because you don't want me to spill your secret. He was a Grade A Jerk with an ego to match. Even if I could get past how he was in the book, my heart could not commit that in the end his prejudices and fears wouldn't put so much stress on their relationship that it would tank. I could not really feel an attachment to either character and their chemistry had no zing for me. In spite of this I thought that Emmy deserved so much better than Jake. That is only my opinion though. Still it was a good read with a few funny moments mixed in with some drama and emotions. This is my honest, voluntary review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boyfriend Maintenance.

March 8, 2019 – Shelved