Sheyla ✎'s Reviews > Little Darlings

Little Darlings by Melanie Golding

bookshelves: 2019, arc, netgalley, publisher, folklore

Little Darlings is a creepy, engaging, hair-raising tale, one which I was happy to review. The addition of the dark fairy folklore regarding twins made this novel so much more sinister.

A new mother's worst nightmare is the premise of Little Darlings.

Lauren Tranter is the new mother of twin boys, Morgan and Riley. She's overwhelmed, experiencing postpartum depression and if that wasn't enough, one of the nights while she's still at the hospital, a young woman with twins wants to exchange/take her babies. Lauren runs away and hides in the bathroom and calls the cops. Of course, no one can find the woman and her babies. They all think it was Lauren hallucinating. She's tired, she was given medications during delivery so the conclusion is that she was imaging the whole event.

DS Jo Harper reviews the report the next morning and something about the event pushes her to meet Lauren and to further investigate it. Jo believes Lauren. She knows something happened to Lauren at the hospital. Sadly, her boss doesn't agree with her and using the police resources is not something he wants to agree on. Jo doesn't want to leave the case and she starts using her own free time to follow some leads.

Then the worst happens. While on an outing with the babies a month after they were born, Lauren falls asleep on a bench and when she wakes up, her babies are gone. Jo is called to help with the kidnapping. She finds the twins but when they returned them to Lauren, she shockingly screams that they're not hers!

I liked both Lauren and DS Jo Harper. It was interesting not knowing if Lauren was imagining it all or if it was real. The folklore at the beginning of every chapter really helps with the eeriness. Jo had her own reasons for investigating the case involving babies and she tried her best to help Lauren.

Little Darlings reads itself. The whole story was spooky. It had my attention from beginning to end.

I heard this could become a movie. Perfect script for one.

Cliffhanger: No

4/5 Fangs

A complimentary copy was provided by Crooked Lane Books via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Darlings.

March 8, 2019 – Started Reading
March 8, 2019 – Shelved
March 8, 2019 – Finished Reading
March 14, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
March 14, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
March 14, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
March 14, 2019 – Shelved as: publisher
March 14, 2019 – Shelved as: folklore

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Barbie (new) - added it

Barbie Superb review, Sheyla! 😊💕

Sheyla ✎ Barbie wrote: "Superb review, Sheyla! 😊💕"

message 3: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly  B I'm looking forward to this one now! Great review Sheyla.

Sheyla ✎ Holly wrote: "I'm looking forward to this one now! Great review Sheyla."

Thank you, Holly. Very creepy....

Michelle Awesome review, Sheyla! 💖 I'm so glad you loved this one too. I can not wait for the movie!

Sheyla ✎ Michelle wrote: "Awesome review, Sheyla! 💖 I'm so glad you loved this one too. I can not wait for the movie!"
Thank you, Michelle. I think the movie can become quite scary. Can't wait for it.

message 7: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Awesome review!! I'm looking forward to this one now! :)

Sheyla ✎ Deanna wrote: "Awesome review!! I'm looking forward to this one now! :)"
Thank you, Deanna!