Olivia Lavelle's Reviews > The Polar Express

The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg

Feb 08, 2012

The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg was a cute book. It was about a boy on late Christmas Eve who gets on this magical train that takes him to the North Pole where he receives a special gift from Santa himself. I liked that this book had something that was significant to the main character. The idea to have the bell only make noise to the people who believe in Santa was a brilliant idea. I personally think that made the story that much better. I know the book is called The Polar Express, but it should be called The Bell. Once again, the story had outstanding visual images. Everything looked as if it were real life visuals and they were very detailed. I noticed that the sophisticated elements in his books happen to be his overall style for his books. With this book you need the text and images (symmetrical) to understand what is going on in the book. One thing I noticed was on the title page there was a wolf and this same wolf was in the story. I did not understand the message behind this. I know that most children would enjoy this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Polar Express.