Denna's Reviews > I am Elephant, I am Butterfly

I am Elephant, I am Butterfly by Leslie Tall Manning

First off, I have to say that I’m usually not attracted to young adult stories, so it takes something special to hold my interest. I am Elephant, I am Butterfly is one of the few that managed to do so. I read straight through in one sitting.

Sixteen-year-old Simone Wheeler has some family/school issues that has caused her to turn to food for comfort. Obese now, she is accepted into the elite Camp Kamama—a place of self-discovery for the morbidly obese—a camp in the Appalachian Mountains that is also shrouded in mystery.

While meditating beneath an old tree in the woods one day, Simone finds a secret diary belonging to a beautiful skinny girl from the despised Camp Felina across the lake. Phoebe, the Felina, has carved a cryptic path in her diary that Simone will be compelled to follow—no matter what the consequences.

There is a lot here that should appeal to kids and adults alike. We have teenage angst to work through, guilt, body and self-esteem issues, peer pressure. I loved how the two girls came to understand one another and learned they aren’t so very different from each other after all. It’s a great read and I think every teenage girl, and her parents, can get something out of it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I am Elephant, I am Butterfly.

March 7, 2019 – Started Reading