L. McCoy's Reviews > Bedlam, Vol. 1

Bedlam, Vol. 1 by Nick Spencer

60482096
So for those of you who have read this, remember towards the beginning of this book (somewhere in the first chapter) Madder Red talks about his idea for a TV show where this man’s wife is trying to kill him but the poor guy has no idea yet still keeps avoiding it? I would watch that show.

What’s it about?
In the city of Gotha... Bedlam there was once a psycho-killer that called himself Madder Red, he was the Joker to their Batman pretty much (there is a superhero character in this book). Now he’s not been doing his psychotic shit for awhile and is perfectly normal. Eventually he sees all the terrible shit going on in the city and decides it’s time for him to start doing good in his community... in some kinda strange ways.

Pros:
The story is pretty interesting. Seeing the psychotic killer of the story try to redeem himself in less usual ways is pretty neat and Spencer writes it well.
This book is pretty suspenseful. It has some good twists and such, isn’t very predictable like some might expect this one to be so I liked that.
The horror stuff is well done. I was kinda unsure how it would be because most of the Nick Spencer stuff I read is meant to be humorous so seeing this and what I’ve read of Morning Glories shows that he can write some more serious stuff (well, creator owned at least, I still remember Secret Empire).
This book has some good comic relief.

Cons:
The characters aren’t very interesting. The former psycho is sorta interesting but other than him... The weird doctors are just that. The detective is a typical crime drama detective. The superhero guy that’s in some scenes is a really generic superhero.
This book is a bit slow paced for the most part. There’s a bit more action towards the end so maybe volume 2 will be more intense but this volume... not so much.
The solution to the book’s main problem is kinda anti-climactic and dumb.

Mixed thoughts:
The art is mixed. Sometimes it looks amazing, especially in the flashback scenes because it has a really cool black, white and red color scheme that works amazingly but there’s a few scenes where it looks like messy scribbles.

Overall:
I wasn’t sure if I’d give this 3 or 4 stars. I went with 3 because while it’s an interesting idea and I am gonna add volume 2 to my reading list, I wouldn’t really recommend it.
It has an interesting story, well done horror and suspense but not very interesting characters and a slow pace.
So yeah, not bad but I hope volume 2 is better.

3/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bedlam, Vol. 1.

March 7, 2019 – Started Reading
March 7, 2019 – Shelved
March 7, 2019 –
page 0
"I normally think of Nick Spencer as a comedic writer so interested to see what this is like."
March 12, 2019 – Shelved as: comics-and-graphic-novels
March 12, 2019 – Shelved as: kindle-unlimited
March 12, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed
March 12, 2019 – Shelved as: superhero
March 12, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Fantastic review hun!! Love that cover too! I’ve never heard of this one!

message 2: by L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

L. McCoy That is a great cover. It’s one of the main things that caught my attention.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I know right!! 😃