Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)'s Reviews > The Lady Rogue

The Lady Rogue by Jenn Bennett

Thanks to Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

It was fine?

I mean, I liked it, but I think my best review would be with a bullet point list of what I liked and didn't like. I wish I had more to say about it because it's a fine book that I think people would like, but it didn't strike a huge chord with me.

What I liked:

• The pacing. It was very good and it kept up at a great speed without it feeling like it was going too fast for me to catch up with what was going on.
• The setting. Very unique! I never see Romania as a setting. Eastern Europe is a setting that just hasn't been tapped enough in stories, so it was very unique.
• The banter. Theo and Huck were hilarious together and I loved how they bantered together. It was fun to read because I love humor with my action in any case.
• Didn't drag on too long. I love books that end and don't keep dragging out.
• Action started right away. Basically, you're tossed into the story and it was lovely. I was tossed in without feeling lost.
• The writing. I loved how Bennett wrote the story and she's a really good author.

What I didn't like:

• I didn't need the romance/sex shaming angle that it took. I wasn't there for Huck and Theo -- especially since Huck nicknamed her "banshee" for her crying over her mother's death. I also didn't like that her dad shamed her for having sex and it felt very unresolved by the end. Kind of pointless drama to toss into the story for me.
• The plot. It starts off interesting, but I wasn't able to suspend my disbelief/get into it. It just didn't work for me, even if the pacing was great and it started off interesting.
• The ending. Just didn't work for me. It felt like it was too much and wrapped up too quickly.
• The characters. Never got quite attached to Huck and Theo, as I said. I was very indifferent to them and what might happen to them.

All in all, it is a good book. It just didn't work for me as much as I wanted it to!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady Rogue.

March 7, 2019 – Shelved
August 13, 2019 – Started Reading
August 13, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
August 13, 2019 – Shelved as: from-publisher-or-author
August 15, 2019 –
58.0% "I keep forgetting to update this one! It's good, but not blowing me away. A nice adventure for me to read at lunch."
August 15, 2019 –
61.0% "I also can't put my finger on why this feels anachronistic. Is it because of the language used? It doesn't feel period accurate. Is it because there's no mention of Hitler or Nazis or anything and it's set in 1937? Who knows."
August 17, 2019 –
100.0% "It was fine? RTC!"
August 17, 2019 – Finished Reading