Susanne Strong's Reviews > Inspection

Inspection by Josh Malerman

bookshelves: buddy-read, netgalley

3.75 Stars* (rounded up).

Well, that was different. In truth, I couldn’t tear my eyes away!

What can I say without giving too much away? “Inspection” is weird and wild and had a really interesting concept. The first part was a little slower for me and took a while to get into and then BAM!!, the second part took off and I was all in. The characterizations hooked me. K and B, got me and and they got me good. Reality is not what you think it is and truth well, what is the truth? Be honest and you are safe or Lie and the Corner will await. What do you think and what do you actually know? Not much!

Let me leave you with this: Girls rule and boys drool. Baah!!

“Inspection” was definitely unlike any other book I have ever read. I have to hand it to Josh Malerman. He continues to think out of the box - for which I give him kudos. There is one part of the novel I thought was unnecessary and was ultimately too graphic and for which I was forced to cover my eyes... thus I must warn people in advance.

For those of you looking for something a little different, I suggest giving this one a try. Yes it’s totally out there, completely weird and totally unlike “Bird Box” but that’s the beauty of it. It’s wholly original.

This was a buddy read with Kaceey! Thanks for reading this with me Kace! It was a weird, wild ride!

Thank you to NetGalley, Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine and Josh Malerman for an arc of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Published on NetGalley and Goodreads on 3.10.10.
Will be published on Amazon and Twitter on 3.19.19.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inspection.

March 7, 2019 – Started Reading
March 7, 2019 – Shelved
March 7, 2019 – Shelved as: buddy-read
March 7, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
March 7, 2019 –
March 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)

Michelle i am struggling with this. what do you think so far?

Susanne  Strong Michelle wrote: "i am struggling with this. what do you think so far?"

How far are you? I thought it was super weird at first.. and it still is but it has gotten better...

Michelle I'm on page 258 (beginning of section 4). I'm going to knock off the last 50 pages here in a minute. Your assessment is spot on. It's totally weird and was quite boring at first and now it's better, but it isn't enough to redeem it. I'm SO disappointed...

Susanne  Strong Michelle wrote: "I'm on page 258 (beginning of section 4). I'm going to knock off the last 50 pages here in a minute. Your assessment is spot on. It's totally weird and was quite boring at first and now it's better..."

Ack!! I’m sorry Michelle! I ended up liking it better as each section went on.. except for part of the end which I thought was totally unnecessary!

Michelle Susanne wrote: "Michelle wrote: "I'm on page 258 (beginning of section 4). I'm going to knock off the last 50 pages here in a minute. Your assessment is spot on. It's totally weird and was quite boring at first an..."

Loved your review - even though you came out of it being much kinder on it than I was! I definitely agree with your suggestion for everyone to give it a try. It definitely isn't for everyone, but that's okay!

message 6: by Kaceey (last edited Mar 10, 2019 12:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaceey Fabulous review Susanne! Love your comment about girls rule!😂😂. Loved reading this one with you...as always!

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard Already read some differing reports on this one so I’m intrigued to read it ........ loved your review Susanne :)

message 8: by Maureen (new)

Maureen I’m intrigued! Terrific review Susanne 💝

message 9: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Fabulous review, Susanne! Weird can definitely be good!

message 10: by KAS (new)

KAS Weird and wild sounds like a great combination to me, Susanne!! Fabulous review, as always ;) ❤️

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Lovely review, Susanne! 💙

message 12: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Awesome review, Susanne!

message 13: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Reviews are all over the place for this one. Your review is giving me hope again. 💖

message 14: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Something different is good once in a while. Glad it worked for you, Susanne.

message 15: by JanB (new)

JanB Susanne, Loved the Homework Bound reference - such a memorable line even if it was about dogs and cats, lol. I'm on the fence about this one, reviews are all over the place. Great review, as always! 😊

Susanne  Strong Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Fabulous review Susanne! Love your comment about girls rule!😂😂. Loved reading this one with you...as always!"

Thanks Kaceey!! Lol.. I know it's supposed to be Dogs drool (Right?!
LOL!!) but.. in this case.. lol!! Glad we read this one together!! Hugs!!

Susanne  Strong Richard wrote: "Already read some differing reports on this one so I’m intrigued to read it ........ loved your review Susanne :)"

This one has gotten a lot of mixed reviews Richard! I find that dystopian novels tend to.. this strange.. but entertaining.. I'd love your thoughts!

Susanne  Strong Maureen wrote: "I’m intrigued! Terrific review Susanne 💝"

Woo hoo! My job is done Maureen.. until next time. LOL!

Susanne  Strong Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Susanne! Weird can definitely be good!"

Thanks Meredith! In this case for the most part, I think weird was good. :)

Susanne  Strong KAS wrote: "Weird and wild sounds like a great combination to me, Susanne!! Fabulous review, as always ;) ❤️"

It was an interesting combo KAS!

Susanne  Strong Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Lovely review, Susanne! 💙"

Thanks so much Mary Beth!

Susanne  Strong Paula wrote: "Awesome review, Susanne!"

Thanks Paula!

Susanne  Strong Felicia wrote: "Reviews are all over the place for this one. Your review is giving me hope again. 💖"

LOL Felicia! I have an idea as to where you would fall in the reviews on this one... LOL! Question: Do you have it to read?

Susanne  Strong Angela M wrote: "Something different is good once in a while. Glad it worked for you, Susanne."

Yes, every once in a while, I agree Angela! :)

Susanne  Strong JanB wrote: "Susanne, Loved the Homework Bound reference - such a memorable line even if it was about dogs and cats, lol. I'm on the fence about this one, reviews are all over the place. Great review, as always! 😊"

Thank you!! I knew it was dogs drool... but in this case the girls v. boys is appropriate.. :) Not sure what you would think about this.. though I do have an inkling..

Although, now that I have my first cat.. and I was always a dog person.. well.. if I had both in the house together, I get the reference.. Cats do rule the household.. it's her house, it's not my house! .... so in the scheme of things.. yah. :

message 26: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt Nice review, Susanne.

Susanne  Strong Matt wrote: "Nice review, Susanne."

Thanks Matt!

message 28: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Fabulous review Susanne!💖😉

Holly  B I think this is next for me, so I am thrilled to see your review!

message 30: by Jayme (new)

Jayme Lots of mixed reviews for this one!! Glad you enjoyed !!

message 31: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Crytzer Fry Fabulous review. I love when an author can surprise his/her readers on the sophomore novel attempt. Though I understand that kind of creativity isn't always appreciated. I did read Bird Box; glad you liked this one, Susanne.

Susanne  Strong Kat wrote: "Fabulous review Susanne!💖😉"

Thanks Kat!!

Susanne  Strong Holly wrote: "I think this is next for me, so I am thrilled to see your review!"

I seriously cannot wait for your thoughts on this Holly.. you'll either like it or not.. there is no in between here..it's just weird! It starts off slow but then I think it gets better.. Can't wait to see!

Susanne  Strong Jayme wrote: "Lots of mixed reviews for this one!! Glad you enjoyed !!"

LOL Jayme, that's for sure!!!

Susanne  Strong Melissa wrote: "Fabulous review. I love when an author can surprise his/her readers on the sophomore novel attempt. Though I understand that kind of creativity isn't always appreciated. I did read Bird Box; glad y..."

Surprises Galore here Melissa. He sure likes to keep readers on their toes!

message 36: by Sarah (last edited Mar 16, 2019 07:33AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Sarah Let me leave you with this: Girls rule and boys drool. Baah!!

Although I didn't like the book overall, I definitely agree with this--K was so much braver and more of a badass than J!