K. O'Bibliophile's Reviews > Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife

Feb 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction
Read from July 08 to August 06, 2012

Ohohoho, how I love Mary Roach. She's hilarious, curious, and laugh-out-loud funny. (Yes, I called her funny twice. She's that awesome.)

It pains me to give her such an average score, but I liked her other books better. This wasn't bad--far from it!--and it wasn't even a lower standard of writing than the other books I've read, I just couldn't engage myself in the subject like I did with the other books I've read, Stiff an Packing for Mars.

In light of that, I'd say this was a good place to start with Roach's writing. A friend who picked it up when I left it lying around was instantly engaged, and the book itself does contain a lot of good, funny, informative stuff. I think this time, it's more a problem of me rather than the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spook.

07/08/2012 page 57
18.0% ""There's a very good chance you underestimate almost everything about the sea urchin. For instance, sea urchins use their little sucker-tipped feet to hold pieces of seaweed over their heads like parasols, for shade. Plus, they have teeth that can drill into rock and excavate entire living rooms for their owners. The teeth are hard to see, because sea urchins sit on their mouths; possibly they are self-conscious...""
07/09/2012 page 94
30.0% "(Note: a 'Mac'= the volume of a human soul, according to this guy.) Carpenter points out that leprechauns have a volume similar to that of the human Mac. 'This makes me suspect,' he writes, 'that Leprechauns...are most likely discarnate humans.' This makes me, in turn, suspect that Donald Gilbert Carpenter is most likely not the staid scientist that his many equations and tables suggest."