Steph Sinclair's Reviews > Prodigy

Prodigy by Marie Lu

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Well, well, well. Here I am yet again eating my words. A year ago, when I read Legend, I complained about the world building. Mind you, I did think it was a fast-paced, exciting read, but it felt incomplete as a dystopian novel because I couldn't fully visualize how the society fit into the world as a whole. By the end, I was left with so many questions about how everything functioned. I felt like Marie Lu was purposefully keeping secrets from me just to string me along to book two. Well, I supposed it did work and to my immense delight, it was well worth the wait. And I loved it.

Instantly, I noticed a change from Legend to Prodigy. The biggest being the change in my opinion over the two main characters June and Day. Originally, June and I didn't mesh well, but in Prodigy that situation was flipped. It was Day that was the new thorn in my side for the majority of the book. From the beginning, June warns Day of the Patriots and their leader, Razor, but Day, blinded by his hatred of the Republic for destroying his family, fails to heed her warning. A part of this is due to doubt of June's loyalty being placed in his head from other Patriots and his best friend, Tess, who is not ashamed to show her dislike for June. And just when I thought I had it up to *here* with him, he wised up and took action. The "old" Day that warmed my heart in Legend was back.

June, on the other hand, I liked very much. I thought her character growth was a vast improvement from Legend because she's clearly learned from past actions. In Prodigy, she is more aware of the corruption in the Republic and is therefore able to pinpoint wary situations. Yet, the thing she struggles with the most in this sequel are her feelings for Day and how their relationship could possibly work out given their backgrounds. Can they remain together even with the knowledge that June's actions in Legend resulted in the murdering of his family? Are they simply too different for it to work being from opposite economic classes? And then there's Anden, the new Elector Primo, whose interest in June was shown in Legend and apparently still holding firm. Wouldn't it just be easier to be with someone like him? That's the predicament June finds herself in. And while it may sound rather angsty the way I've described it, I never felt it was overdone to the point of instant "headdesk-ation."

Another improvement was the world building. And with that, I'm now wondering if I'm often too hard on first books in dystopians. I'm noticing a trend with world building becoming more pronounced in the second books in series when I usually prefer some sort of set-up to the story. (Perhaps this is just my high-fantasy mind kicking into gear.) But everything came together nicely here. We found out how the country was split into two separate ones. We find out how the outside world views the Republic. We find out what's going on in the Colonies (though, I would have loved to hear more about them). Sure, I would have loved to know a little of this during Legend, but I have to say, I've enjoyed the ride thus far.

Finally, there's the ending, which I will warn other readers, does end in a rather disturbing cliffhanger. *sniff* In my Legend review, I complained about the illusion of Day and June's invincibility. N-n-not so in Prodigy. *hiccup*

Photobucket

Okay, okay. I admit it. I was a teensy bit emotional. But only for, like, five seconds (plus an hour or two...maybe...). And now I'm secretly cursing myself for ever complaining in the first place. Why? WHY?! WHY?! OH, GOD. WHY, DO AUTHORS KEEP DESTROYING MY FEELINGS?! First, I was in a bit of shock. Marie Lu wouldn't do that to me. I mean, she had built up the anticipation perfectly throughout the entire novel. I thought ALL THE THINGS were going to be okie-dokie.

*We interrupt your regularly scheduled review for a moment of angst*

Photobucket

/end *moment of angst*

(Er... Sorry, that was weird.)

So then when I finished the book and was LEFT ON THE BLOODY CLIFF, I was like, "Marie... no.... you, evil genius... no..." So basically, Marie Lu has me hook, line and sinker. I'm completely enthralled in this series and I can't wait to see what happens next.

Big thank you to Anna from Literary Exploration for lending me her ARC!

More reviews and other fantastical things at Cuddlebuggery.com.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prodigy.

11/02/2012 page 100
26.0% "I'm not quite sure I understand how Day's leg healed so fast given he just had surgery the night before. Now he's jumping off ladders and such..." 12 comments
11/04/2012 page 227
59.0% 2 comments
11/05/2012 page 304
79.0% "Ohhhh!! This is getting good!" 5 comments
11/05/2012 page 331
86.0% "Kaede, you are badass."
11/05/2012 page 360
93.0% "OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG.... NOOOOOOOO!!!" 1 comment
02/02/2016 marked as: read

Donna Ohmygod, I'm so jealous of you! Curious to hear your thoughts :)

Summerscent ^Same exact sentiments! Please do tell your thoughts after! Have fun! :)

message 3: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer jealous jealous jealous!

Steph Sinclair I borrowed it from another blogger. I wish I had my own lovely copy! :)

message 5: by Blythe (new)

Blythe So I take it I should read Legend?

Steph Sinclair Blythe wrote: "So I take it I should read Legend?"

Definitely. I gave Legend 3 stars, but it's an exciting read. Prodigy is much better though.

Steph Sinclair Summerscent wrote: "^Same exact sentiments! Please do tell your thoughts after! Have fun! :)"

Well, I finished and it was AMAZING! I loved it! :D

message 8: by Stefani (new) - added it

Stefani Wow, quite the review! I liked Legend well enough but had some issues with it, but not enough to turn me off Prodigy...sounds like that is going to be a good decision. I want this book like right now *checks preorder*, damn.

Steph Sinclair Stefani wrote: "Wow, quite the review! I liked Legend well enough but had some issues with it, but not enough to turn me off Prodigy...sounds like that is going to be a good decision. I want this book like right..."

Thanks! Yeah, that is exactly how I felt about Legend. I'm so glad I continued with the series because this was so much better and fun!

Eva Rose I liked Legend but its sounding like Prodigy will rock my socks off.

Steph Sinclair Nina Rose wrote: "I liked Legend but its sounding like Prodigy will rock my socks off."

I think it will. I thought it was a much better read than Legend. It had all the elements Legend was missing.

Kaitlyn I can't wait for this book! You're review just makes me want it even more!!!

Steph Sinclair Kaitlyn *Nandos* wrote: "I can't wait for this book! You're review just makes me want it even more!!!"

Just two more months!! :D

Summerscent Just read your review and it just makes me so excited! Wendy hinted at a bathtub scene. Was she right to hint it? Is it awesome? Teehee!

Steph Sinclair Summerscent wrote: "Just read your review and it just makes me so excited! Wendy hinted at a bathtub scene. Was she right to hint it? Is it awesome? Teehee!"

Ah, yes. The bathtub scene. Shirtless Day, blushing June? I thought it was very sweet.

As Hot As Jack Frost O.o What is this cliffhanger you speak of? Now I really really want to read it!

message 17: by Steph (last edited Jan 14, 2013 07:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Steph Sinclair As Hot As Jack Frost wrote: "O.o What is this cliffhanger you speak of? Now I really really want to read it!"

Psst... We'll be having a giveaway early February on the blog.

As Hot As Jack Frost Ooh, thanks for the tip.

message 19: by Soumi (new) - added it

Soumi Dying to wait for this book, seriously. but can you tell me who is this Anden guy? Do I smell something fishy?

Steph Sinclair We met Arden briefly in Legend when June was introduced to him at some event she went to. He's the Electer Primo's son.

message 21: by Soumi (new) - added it

Soumi Steph wrote: "We met Arden briefly in Legend when June was introduced to him at some event she went to. He's the Electer Primo's son."
Okey, now I remember that guy. He also made appearance in her brother's funeral I guess.

Eva Rose That cliffhanger was brutal. I can't believe that Marie Lu did THAT to us. I might read the next book like this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

William Oh dear... I am so scared. I am so scared. I really want to read this book. D:

Steph Sinclair @Nina Rose, that gif perfectly explains how I felt at the end!

@William, you should be.

Eva Rose William wrote: "Oh dear... I am so scared. I am so scared. I really want to read this book. D:"

Just be prepare for the end, that's all I'm saying. XDDD

Steph wrote: "@Nina Rose, that gif perfectly explains how I felt at the end!

Honestly, the nest one we should do a prayer circle and pass alcohol around to bear it. XDDD I'll just chant to myself "It will be alright, it will be alright" XDDDD

William OMG. I finished the book. Nina Rose... I completely understand that gif right now.

Eva Rose William wrote: "OMG. I finished the book. Nina Rose... I completely understand that gif right now."

Here I am hoping that the next one will end up happy you know. XDDD

Steph Sinclair William wrote: "OMG. I finished the book. Nina Rose... I completely understand that gif right now."

Wasn't that ending just torture?

William Steph wrote: "William wrote: "OMG. I finished the book. Nina Rose... I completely understand that gif right now."

Wasn't that ending just torture?"

Yes!!! D: I was like, DAY NO!!! And Kaede and June too... :(

Maria hi Steph, just finished this, so... can get a hug? :( *bawling like a baby*

Kirstin And I remember your review on Legend, asking something about the map of America. And hurrah! Lu gave u a map :D I actually thought she might have read your review, lol.

Steph Sinclair I love it when authors make me eat my words. Love it! :D

Sarah I finished Legend over month ago, and continued with Prodigy, but I dont know it is kinda boring for me in the beginning, so I move it back to my to-read list

Stephanie Cham You said EVERYTHING I wanted to say!

Morgan Butella Agree 100% I am afraid to read champion because I don't want to be crushed and an emotional mess