Frankie (Chicks, Rogues and Scandals) 's Reviews > Secrets of a Highland Warrior

Secrets of a Highland Warrior by Nicole Locke

So here we are, the last ever book in the Lochmore Legacy – unless of course there is going to be a Lochmore Heirs or something spin off?….Hint, hint! Anyway, it has taken me ages to write this review, mainly because I started bawling like an infant every time I came to say goodbye, I just couldn’t do it, but I have battled on and hopefully a review of this fine book will come through my waffle.

Anyone who knows me, will know how much I love a marriage of convenience, I love how the couple have to work that much harder for their happily ever after. I love their banter, their waspish sniping and then then the moment that they finally give in makes it all the more beautiful to read, and this is where Ms Locke comes into her own.

Even though this is the final book in the series, I cannot express how much I have been looking forward to reading it. To finding out the secret that has plagued the Lochmore’s and McCrief’s for century’s, why did these two mighty clans hate one an other? What got between them? Who are Ailsa and Rory? If your have been reading this series, I know that you would have been asking your selves these questions and here we find out all the secrets and lies. I knew that this finale book would be well worth the wait, as Nicole Locke is a fantastic author, for me she is one of the reigning champions when it comes to Medieval Romance, I adore her work she is in a class all of her own, but this, well this is certainly special.

In this finale book of the series, we have travelled back to 1293, where we finally find out all the secrets and the mysteries that have been building up over the last three books. Where we meet Rory Lochmore – oh, Rory!! Be still my thundering heart – and Ailsa McCrieff join their warring clans with their marriage of convenience, some thing neither of them wanted especially with the enemy.

I love the sniping, bantering and chemistry between Rory and Ailsa, they are enemies and that is what makes them all the more engaging, their battle for happiness is real and engaging. I do like that there is a real sense that if Rory and Ailsa allow themselves to put the family feud behind them they could make it work, all the sooner then they do. They both have issues, there is a lot of distrust between them, but you instantly see that there is a spark in the air when they meet. They are both hugely likable, and complex individuals, who you will instantly form a bond with. I love when they finally see that there marriage could be more then joining their feuding clans, it could be a proper marriage with something more, it is then that really moves the story onwards.

Ailsa is a great character, I love her feistiness, her intelligence and her caring nature. She is also brave and very out-spoken, something which Rory admires hugely, even if he doesn’t show it. Likewise with Rory, I got a strong sense of a vulnerable side to him as soon as we meet him, he wants to prove himself not just to his father but to the whole clan, he wants to show everyone that he can be Chief, he can be a strong resourceful leader. He has a sense deep down that he doesn’t belong and it is that what keeps hi going and pushing forward, it is that sense of not fitting in, of not being accepted that makes him become the man he is. Which if you ask me, there is nothing at all wrong with the man wo has invaded my dreams with those glorious arms, with that mighty chest, that ability to wield a sword and his sense of purpose….swoon! Please someone stop me, before I start on about his pert, well-formed, leather clad backside….oops, too late 😉

Like the previous books, there is more to just this then a sensual and beautifully portrayed romance, as ever with Nicole Locke there is a sense of danger and mystery. With a poisoning, unease and mistrust at every corner, not to mention the mystery that surrounds Rory, something that the ingenious Ailsa starts to unravel as the story progresses.

Just a word on the epilogue, written by the wonderful Janice Preston and Oh, my goodness, it is glorious. It is such a beautiful and fitting end to what has been a dramatic, inspiring and bewitching series. That epilogue lets everything all into place, it’s an enchanting and powerful piece of writing.

Over all, this is glorious! I love the story, it takes the reader on a magical and dramatic adventure, that is expertly and intricately woven into what is a true love story. The character’s brilliant, each one is well defined and likable – not to mention gorgeous, swoon-worthy, sexy, intelligent and full of real conflicted emotion. Bu, what really caught my eye and my imagination was the writing, the way Nicole has described each scene, you have this glorious picture in your mind, your can feel the textures of the clothing, the aromas, the sounds, it’s tantalising and vivid.

I am astounded yet again by this series, each book has been beautiful and atmospheric, each one has been such a joy to read. There is a real mixed emotion or sadness that this series has come to an end, and gratitude and awe that Nicole, Elisabeth, Lara and Janice have allowed us to follow their heroes and heroines through the ages. Thank you all for bringing such a varied and inspiring set of books to the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets of a Highland Warrior.

March 6, 2019 – Shelved