Karen's Reviews > Knitlandia: A Knitter Sees the World

Knitlandia by Clara Parkes

bookshelves: craft

Full disclosure: I'm a crocheter not a knitter, and not as 'into' it as much as a lot of people, for example the people who will apparently queue for hours in hot sun to buy yarn at a fibre festival. However, I chose to read it during my knitting & crochet group's summer retreat which is a very different to the retreats mentioned in the book, in that there are no professional demonstrations or lessons or meditation, just lots of booze, some occasional yarn craft and a hot tub with friends.

So not being a knitting nerd, I still enjoyed this immensely, I think the travel aspect was well written and that's what drew me in. I didn't notice the 'name dropping' that this book has been criticised with having, because I don't know the names? (I'd not even heard of Parkes before being recommended this book). In fact I only recognised one person because I've seen her patterns on Ravely, however I enjoyed learning more about that person and how they got to where they were in the 'Knitting World'. The stories involving people I didn't know, I still enjoyed - the fact that these stories are mini essays mean you can choose to just skip to the next one should you choose.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knitlandia.

March 6, 2019 – Shelved