Gordon's Reviews > The Hypnotist

The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler

Feb 07, 2012

it was ok
Read in February, 2012

The Hypnotist is best described as a depraved page-turner of a novel. In the same vein as "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" -- also written by a Swedish novelist -- the novel focuses heavily on psychotic killers with a fondness for torture and other gruesome forms of havoc and mayhem. It's very skillfully done, if by "skillful" you're thinking of story-telling of the kind that gets you hooked and keeps you reading until 2:00am. In my case, it may even have been 3:00am. The characters have some interesting dimensions, and the dialogue is not as brain-dead as you might expect in the crime thriller genre. There are even a couple of good sex scenes, although one of them did make me burst out laughing, which is not a good thing when the author is going for erotic effect.

All that said, it's still quite depraved. This world has always harbored the kind of people who slaughter their families and torture children, but I'm also pretty sure that it doesn't make us any happier or better-off to read crime novels about them. I guess that's why I usually don't do so, unless as in this case I'm reading it for a book club.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hypnotist.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Steve Gordon
I think that you are being unfair and a little bit snooty. It is a very good book for its genre. This review sounds like you went to a baseball game and came away dissapointed because there was no ballet.

Gordon Steve wrote: "Gordon

Yes, it is a very good book for its genre. And you may have a point about the ballet vs. baseball game analogy, although it would be an even better analogy if the baseball game were more like a gladiator contest where the players get to slide into home plate and eviscerate the catcher with a knife if he tries to tag them. I might complain about that too, and would be entitled to do so, even if the gladiatorial baseball game were well played -- unless I attended the second game of the double-header. :-)

Steve Actually that book is called Blockade Billy (Except the Catcher has the knife). Stephen King wrote it.