Lasairfiona Smith's Reviews > The Blood Books, Volume I

The Blood Books, Volume I by Tanya Huff

Jul 16, 2008

bookshelves: iown, havereadin2008, havereadin2006-2007, havereadmorethanonce, popcorn
Recommended for: For some light, urban fantasy reading...
Read in October, 2007

There isn't anything particularly special about these books. The writing is okay, the characters are fairly one dimensional, and the plots are quite straightforward. However, Huff puts together a pleasant read. Two of the three main characters love to scream at each other and typically lose their temper every other page. How these two could possibly function as cops without a serious list of citations is anyone's guess, but it is quite entertaining to read about how they really, really want to give into their temper and rip someone's head off (I feel like that quite often myself).

These books fall into the urban fantasy category, one that I enjoy as there are a lot of problems that paranormal creatures would have that the genre gets to address (how do you explain that you always sleep during the day without someone becoming superstitious?).

So why four stars if I am not impressed with the writing or any of my usual criteria for a high star rating? Perhaps it is my mood and my enjoyment of reading something where I don't have to think (which is infact a good thing from time to time). Perhaps it is that the stories, while not complex, are quite enjoyable. Perhaps it is that she doesn't overuse commas like many of the books I have been reading lately (I realize the comma conventions have changed but some people really just need to lighten up [/pet peeve rant]). Heck, maybe I will reread it in the future and drop a star off. Who knows. I do know that I enjoy reading Huff from time to time, as long as I mix it up with with my usual, heavier reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blood Books, Volume I.