Gillian's Reviews > The Nature Fix: Why Nature Makes Us Happier, Healthier, and More Creative

The Nature Fix by Florence   Williams

9919005

bookshelves: nature, nonfiction

I confess I started reading The Nature Fix already a convert. I know that being in nature makes me happier and more creative, but what I didn't know was why. After reading the book, I not only have some answers for why nature can help make us happier and more creative, but I also now understand just what a positive impact time in nature has on our physical health.
Finnish research suggests, for example, that 5 hours in nature a month is the minimum needed to elevate mood and stave off depression. Other research in the USA, Japan and Korea demonstrates the positive impact nature can have on our brains and on our blood pressure.
Nature's sights invoke awe, provide mystery, or soft fascination all of which have a positive impact on mood, creativity and even our generosity to each other. Nature's sounds are relaxing, while human generated sounds such as trucks and planes elevate our cortisol levels. There's science behind the smells of nature too.
The author's arguments were compelling enough to make me consider allocating regular time in nature, rather than just when I feel like it or can fit it in.
There are some amazing lessons to be gained from this book for people in roles as diverse as urban designers and architects, educators, psychologists, doctors, and those charged with protecting our National Parks, forest parks and other reserves. It raises questions on a wide range of topics, from how we design cities with proximity to green areas, through protecting the natural soundscapes in our National Parks, to helping children with learning difficulties.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Nature Fix.

March 5, 2019 – Started Reading