Michael Hanscom's Reviews > Farmer in the Sky

Farmer in the Sky by Robert A. Heinlein

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, hugo-winners, science-fiction

A Boy Scout moves to Jupiter’s moon Ganymede to homestead and start a farm from scratch. Mildly interesting for the early ideas around terraforming and colonization. Meh.

I know this was written in the very early 50s, but aside from the fact that they’re on Ganymede, it could almost have been set in the then-present day. There was no consideration of how tech advanced enough to allow for interplanetary colonization (and somewhat hand-wave-y large-scale terraforming) might affect farming, other than having some machinery to grind up rocks into fine dirt ready to be mixed with imported treated soil.

And, of course, men and boys do their manly things, while the women cook, worry, or are brushed off as annoying.

I seem to be finding that I’m not a fan of early Heinlein.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farmer in the Sky.

March 5, 2019 – Started Reading
March 5, 2019 – Shelved
March 5, 2019 – Shelved as: science-fiction
March 5, 2019 – Shelved as: hugo-winners
March 5, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction
March 7, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Mar 08, 2019 05:09PM) (new)

Michelle Morrell I found a set of 50s "Year's Best" anthologies and I just couldn't do it. The thoughtless racism, sexism, and just plan meanness were more than I wanted to take.

Michael Hanscom Yeah. Sometimes I can enjoy the old stuff for what it is, warts and all, other times…not so much. I think some warts are warty-er than others.