Linda Martin's Reviews > Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

This is one of the best epistolary novels I've ever read. It ranks up there with Up the Down Staircase by Bel Kaufman. I've been looking for a book like this for years. I only stumbled on this one, accidentally.

I'm doing the PopSugar Reading Challenge this year for the fourth year in a row. I hope to finish all fifty books this year, so I'm reading along with the Ultimate PopSugar Reading Challenge group here on Goodreads. This is the book the group chose for our March read, to fulfill the prompt, "A book with a question in the title." I didn't choose this book myself, but I'm so glad the group chose this book for me.

So, what was so awesome about this book?

1. The upbeat, humorous writing style
2. Quirky characters you'd like to know more about
3. Unusual settings and situations

Bernadette is Bee's mother, and she's disappeared. Bee is devastated. Fortunately a lot of evidence comes to her and she decided to write a book about her mother's disappearance using emails, documents of various sorts, magazine articles, her own brief narratives, and more.

I nearly didn't read this book! Originally I had the audiobook download from Audible and I was very upset by it. I thought the group had chosen another YA novel. The narrator's voice is high and extremely juvenile. I thought she sounded like she was twelve. I didn't want to read another YA novel as the group chose one last month that I didn't like. Not again! So I did something I've done only once before, I returned the audiobook to Audible. Didn't like it at all. Then I read more reviews and realized this is an epistolary novel, and I remembered, an epistolary novel is much better when you have a printed copy... so I bought the Kindle version and am so glad I did. The book is wonderful. A page-turner. Intriguing. Exciting. Challenging. And not YA despite having a 15 year old telling the story. Amazon classifies this as "women's fiction."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where'd You Go, Bernadette.

March 5, 2019 – Started Reading