C. Gold's Reviews > Wild Sun

Wild Sun by Ehsan  Ahmad

bookshelves: science-fiction

I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a review.

I didn’t want to put this book down. From the premise that had me clicking the link to get a free copy to the short description, I was already anticipating a good tale. I wasn’t disappointed.

This story follows three different people as they each struggle to deal with enslavement – two from the slave side and one from the conqueror side.

Cerrin is a fighter at heart and sees the acceptance of slavery by her people as weakness. Even though the invaders have advanced technology while her people are bow and arrow types, Cerrin is determined to win her freedom.

Sonus is from a different tribe than Cerrin. His people were more advanced, just getting to steam engines when the invaders came. So he’s smart and technically inclined. Besides mining ore, he gets to do tech grunt work the invading engineers don’t want to do. Although others try to engage him in rebellious plots, he sees the futility of fighting against superior technology.

Vellerick only has a short time before he can retire. He wanted to spend the rest of his time someplace quiet, but he has to deal with past demons and boredom. That is, until the cruel commander arrives to stir things up.

All three characters have interesting story arcs and felt fairly well fleshed out. I appreciated that not all the conquerors were evil, some dealt more kindly towards the natives than others. The main villain was unfortunately one dimensional, but I really liked his guard. I did think there were a few too many side characters to keep track of at times, especially if you are like me and are pushing into 1am to finish. Oh my bleary eyes! But each felt unique enough and contributed to the overall feeling of a vibrant, real world.

The world building was well done. I got the sense of what the invaders’ universe was like as well as the slaves’ lives in the mines. The native culture as it still existed after years of slavery was believable. There was also a hint that maybe the natives have a connection with nature. Hopefully the next book will go into that more.

I thought the pacing was fairly good. It’s kind of a slow burn as each person has to deal with situations and overcome obstacles before everything culminates in a spectacular ending where all three threads converge. This story is what Avatar should have been, where the natives set out to do their own saving.

The ending wrapped things up but left me crying for more. I want to know what happens next! Always a good sign that the book was a good one. I really enjoyed this book and heartily recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Sun.

Started Reading