Jasmine Woods's Reviews > My Three Best Friends and Me, Zulay

My Three Best Friends and Me, Zulay by Cari Best

U 50x66

it was ok
bookshelves: black-girl-magic-text-set

This book is a realistic fiction that tells the story of a blind black girl named Zulay. Zulay has three best friends who she spends a lot of time with in school and who all help each other whenever one is struggling with something. Zulay speaks of her struggles she has had with being blind through the story. At school, Zulay feels insecure whenever she has to leave her class to go work with a Ms. Turner on learning how to walk with her cane. Though, Zulay gets better at walking with her cane and by the end of the story, she wins a race on field day with it.

I believe this story could be interesting to young children because most children aren't used to be surrounded by blind people. So, it could help them learn about this group of people. Though, I do not believe the story had a rich plot. The story jumped from event to event, so at some points it was hard to piece it all together. I believe it would of would have been hard for a young child to follow and remain interested through out the whole story. Plus, even though Zulay talks about her issues with her condition, she never gives a full description of what it is so it could be confusing for young readers. Though, the illustrations we're child-friendly and helped to enhance the story. Also, there were many diverse characters through out the story. Each of Zulay's friends came from a different background, so many students could be represented in this book.

Overall, I believe the author had a great idea with this story by trying to diversify the characters and talking about a condition that people might not be familiar with. Though, the story itself could of been more genuine and less complex for a children's book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Three Best Friends and Me, Zulay.

March 4, 2019 – Shelved