Melissa's Reviews > The Winemaker's Wife

The Winemaker's Wife by Kristin Harmel

I have been a fan of Kristin Harmel's writing for quite some time now. She has written a few novels about World War II and the Holocaust, but each one has its own special flair that sets it apart from the others in this genre. The Winemaker's Wife tells a story about two women during a very tumultuous time and the secrets that threaten their safety.

This novel was thoughtful and well-written. I learned new things about winemaking. I liked seeing the perspectives of all three women and finding out why they made the choices they did. Being an avid reader, some parts were easy for me to guess, but other parts were surprising. There were elements that threw off my guesses, as well. Through her vivid descriptions, Kristin brought Paris, Reims, and Champagne to life. I really liked Grandma Edith, as she was very sharp for her age.

I would have liked a pronunciation guide or a footnote every time a new French name was introduced. That would have been helpful, as I don't speak French and probably butchered the way the names sounded in my head.

The Winemaker's Wife is another winner from Kristin that you are guaranteed to devour.

Movie casting suggestions:
Ines: Courtney Eaton
Celine: Mathilde Ollivier
Michel: Jeremy Irvine
Liv: Katherine Waterston
Julien: John Reardon

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winemaker's Wife.

March 4, 2019 – Shelved
March 4, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
May 9, 2019 – Started Reading
May 15, 2019 –
page 106
May 20, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Lloyd (new) - added it

Lloyd Russell I totally agree. I have given every one of her books that I have read a top rating.

Melissa Lloyd wrote: "I totally agree. I have given every one of her books that I have read a top rating."

Same here!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Great review! Can’t wait to start this soon

Melissa Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "Great review! Can’t wait to start this soon"

Thanks. Hope you enjoy it.