Julie (Bookish.Intoxication)'s Reviews > The Boy Who Steals Houses

The Boy Who Steals Houses by C.G. Drews

bookshelves: loved, netgalley

I was super lucky with this title, Firstly I received an e-copy from NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review, secondly, I received a finished copy from Hachette, I am so incredibly greatful for the chance to read this book before publication, to be able to create some conversation about it because this book blew my mind, and it will blow yours too.

As always this book is amazingly written, it will pull strings you didn’t even know you had. It is moving and emotionally charged and if you don’t tear up at least once, you are a heartless piece of cardboard (okay not really, some people don’t cry.)

I think what made it so much more amazing for me, on a personal level, is that I can so relate to Avery’s character. I work with children with Autism, every day. It is what I am passionate about, helping these incredibly amazing people to be able to function in the world when they become adults. To help them learn in the ways that suits them, in the less upsetting and confronting ways possible. I see so much perfect real-world aspects to Avery that it breaks my heart. He is such a gentle character, a perfect representation of what typical ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) looks like. I love that Drews has written this character, there are so many misconceptions of people with ASD and I am hoping that this book helps to alleviate some of those misconceptions.

Sam, don’t even get me started on the depth of this character…. Wowzers. This boy has seen too much for his fifteen years. He is functioning amazingly, all things considered. But I think what draws me to him, is his protective nature, his need to look after Avery, not only because he is his brother and he needs help, but because it is all he knows. Avery was all Sam ever had in his world, his one constant. He needs Avery just as much as Avery needs him. Two broken boys, both in their own special ways.

In wrapping up, you can already tell that this book was such a highlight of my 2019. I loved this book on a soul-deep level and I will be screaming it from the rooftops until I am red in the face. This is a book that everyone needs to read. It may be targeted towards Young Adult readers, but it is something that everyone will enjoy, something that everyone can relate to. Incredibly well written, a writing style that flows so fluidly that you won’t even notice the pages turning and a story that will pull at strings, you didn’t even know you had. A MUST read for 2019!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy Who Steals Houses.

March 4, 2019 – Started Reading
March 4, 2019 – Shelved
March 4, 2019 –
page 0
0.0% "Trying to prepare myself.... Knowing the lovely C.G Drews, my heart is about to be torn into a thousand perfect pieces (see what I did there?)
If you don't see what I did there, It is reference to C. G. Drews first book A Thousand Perfect Notes. Which you NEED to read!"
March 4, 2019 –
5.0% "Wow this book..."
March 8, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
March 8, 2019 – Shelved as: loved
March 8, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by ava✧♪ (new) - added it

ava✧♪ I REALLY WANT THIS BOOK BUT I CAN"T GET THROUGH TO HACHETTE WHATS THERE EMAIL ADRESS