Amanda Marie ❤'s Alpha Reads's Reviews > Thirty Days of Shame

Thirty Days of Shame by Ginger Talbot

Similar to the first book, I still hate Sergei. I get it: he is messed up. He had a horrific upbringing. That said, his treatment of Willow is still inexcusable. He is no romance book hero- he is the villain of a thriller. He does not deserve an HEA, and he sure doesn't deserve Willow.
That said, if I look at this as a thriller, it is a good book. I refuse to consider it a romance, dark or otherwise. Behold, some lovely examples of his sweet murmurings to Willow:

-Now I am truly beating the shit out of her, and it makes me feel cold and dead and sick inside.

-"On your back. Legs spread open, knees bent. Make me tell you twice, and your punishment will be fifty lashes.” He advances towards me until I’m backed up against the bed. “I’ll beat you until you pass out. Then I’ll revive you and finish the job.”

-I grab my bullwhip and I bring it down – hard. She thinks I’ve been cruel to her before, but I’ve never genuinely whipped her, not like this.

-“This is me. This is what I am. Tell me what the fuck you are planning, or I will whip the flesh from your body.”

Warms the heart, doesn't it? If only Hallmark could write such lovely words. Definitely the kind of stuff the hero of a romance novel should say to the heroine. While he beats her.

-deep breath-

Again, if taken as a thriller, I think it's a good book. It makes me feel. It makes me angry. I admire the strength of Willow, Anastasia, and the kids.
But if I were discussing it from the reference of it being a romance I can't contain my anger. Sergei is an abusive monster.
I recommend it as a thriller, but not as a romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirty Days of Shame.

March 3, 2019 – Shelved