Jack Vasen's Reviews > Winds of Fate

Winds of Fate by Mercedes Lackey

it was ok
bookshelves: adventure, fantasy, mature-themes, romance

This is the first book in the Mage Winds series. It tells mostly a complete story but there are significant loose ends which fit a larger story encompassing the entire trilogy. That trilogy also fits in the larger Valdemar universe. I would not recommend reading this trilogy out of order.

Much of the book alternates chapters between Elspeth and Darkwind until they come together. That is a little distracting at times, but creates a certain amount of additional suspense. I found Elspeth's story less interesting because it seemed pretty obvious where it was going. The eventual conflict ended up being in Darkwind's story, at least for this book. Overall, the Vale is an interesting place and I look forward to more from that perspective.

Elspeth is a great heroine even though Darkwind enumerates her flaws which mostly revolve around her assertive nature (which may at times be a tad over-aggressive). Since the Arrow series about Talia, I have looked forward to more about Elspeth. This book made me hungry for even more. Darkwind controls his emotions but the narrative reveals that they are often in turmoil. I also look forward to seeing him develop in later books.

I didn't like how Skif is portrayed in the middle. To me it is very un-Skif-like. Skif is better than the shallow male painted in this book.

I had a problem with consistency. At times (view spoiler)

The leadership of the Vale is so stupid that it begs belief, even given what we learn in the middle of the book. There are a number of reasons I say this, but I won't enumerate to avoid spoilers.

And why (view spoiler)

I reluctantly shelved this Romance, although I really didn't see it as such. My reason is that, while there was some very mildly explicit sex, there really wasn't any significant development of romantic relationships. (view spoiler)

Mature themes: this book has numerous references to sadistic torture including brainwashing using sexual manipulation of pain and pleasure. It references total mind control leaving the victim powerless in their own mind. As a result of these things: note to self - don't read this book again. There is fantasy violence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winds of Fate.

March 3, 2019 – Started Reading