Jenny (Reading Envy)'s Reviews > Bottled Goods (Fairlight Moderns): Longlisted for Women's Prize for Fiction 2019

Bottled Goods (Fairlight Moderns) by Sophie van Llewyn

I had not heard of this book before it was announced as one of the Women's Prize long list. It is a short read told in flash style, like lists and little vignettes, set in Romania during the Ceaușescu era (1970s.)

Alina married a man in a lower class and really starts to regret it when his brother leaves the country without permission, making them a new target for the secret police. Mix that kind of oppression and intrigue with a folksy fantasy element and you end up with a unique read! I loved the ending, at least how I interpret it. If you read it, let me know so we can confer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bottled Goods (Fairlight Moderns).

March 3, 2019 – Started Reading
March 5, 2019 – Shelved as: republic-of-consciousness-award
March 5, 2019 – Shelved as: around-the-world
March 5, 2019 – Shelved as: location-romania
March 5, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Paul Fulcher Would love to share thoughts on the ending

Gumble's Yard Would be interested to discuss also. Have read this twice now due to its Republic of Consciousness Prize longlisting.

Jenny (Reading Envy) Paul wrote: "Would love to share thoughts on the ending"

Gumble's Yard wrote: "Would be interested to discuss also. Have read this twice now due to its Republic of Consciousness Prize longlisting."

(view spoiler)