C.G. Drews's Reviews > Promise Me Happy

Promise Me Happy by Robert Newton

bookshelves: 4-star, aussie-authors, contemporary, young-adult, ya-male-narrators, read-2019

i'm beginning to have a deep mistrust of books with "happy" in the title...because they never end up being. 😫💛This was a really sweet and lovely surprise of a book. I hadn't heard of it before I picked it up and it turned out to be this slowly unwinding Aussie contemporary about a boy fresh out of juvie and bearing bruises on his soul for his past (some his fault, some not) and left with an uncle who doesn't know him. Or want him. They're in this dusty little fishing village and Nate's character development is just here to melt your heart.

I love books that sneak up on you and totally wrap you in a soft and sad hug. And this one is here to hit the feels, but also rebuild you.

Ok and I just loved Nate! He's really easy to feel a lot for. Tortured past? Terrible past decisions? He's grieving for his lost mum? Check and CHECK. And tumbling into his Uncle Mick's life (who's gruff and closed off) I just ached for him and how he never felt like he fit...or had a reason to be happy. And then Gem appears in her tartan skirts and snark. And little 8yo oddball Henry turns up and announces he's bestfriends with Nate. And there is an ugly but loving dog. And Mick thaws. And and and...It's such a story about finding your family.

The style is really soft, too, and it felt like being told a comfortable story on a hot Aussie summer day. The sadness almost creeps up on you, and I think the way it was handled was careful and heartfelt.

I do want to mention something I was wary of: (view spoiler)

Also totally shout out to Henry omg he was adorable and so serious and intelligent...I felt he read as autistic, and it wasn't labelled, but if he was it is 🎉good rep 🎉

This book just crept up on me! For an Aussie, I don't read nearly enough #LoveOzYA, but this was such a good read with lots of emotions and a terrific amount of character development. I just loved Nate and how he pulled himself together after a life that beat him apart. Will protec.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promise Me Happy.

March 3, 2019 – Started Reading
March 4, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 4, 2019 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
March 4, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
March 4, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by J R (new)

J R Lynn This sounds so sadly cute 😊😍 Great review Cait! This one is going to my TBR

C.G. Drews It was!! I really like picking up a book and not knowing anything about it and being really happy with how good it is. 💛

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie  Hanna I'd like to read this! I've been looking for more good contemporary . . .