Ashley Houser's Reviews > The Killing Lessons

The Killing Lessons by Saul Black

bookshelves: listened-to-audiobook

Warning! Warning! Dark and disturbing material ahead!

One of my fellow book lovers posted about The Killing Lessons on Facebook and I quote, "I’m only an hour and half in and convinced the dude who wrote this is a serial killer (sure he’s a lovely man but no one writes like this without having done it himself.)"

Intriguing!

And what do I do? Immediately add it to my TBR.

So here I am a couple months later having just finished, and I have to say I agree! What a disturbing, psychotic, and horrifying story. It reminded me a lot of an episode of Criminal Minds on steroids.

This book is not a "whodunit" like most mystery novels. The "who" is divulged within the first few pages when a woman and her son are brutally murdered by a team of two sadistic men. And they aren't their first victims. What follows is a game of cat and mouse as Detective Valerie Hart attempts to track down the serial-killing duo before another victim succumbs to their psychotic games.

I have to say, call me a weirdo. I liked it. The content was difficult to stomach at times, but the thought Saul Black put into the story was commendable. Despite multiple subplots, the story flowed extremely well and kept me engaged. And the narrator of the audiobook created the perfect amount of tension to keep me on the edge of my seat waiting for what happened next.

The one negative for me was the length. I feel like I say this a lot, but I don't mind length if it is purposeful. In this case, I felt like a few parts dragged on and could have been slightly more succinct. But overall, that's the only thing I can complain about.

If you have a strong stomach and don't mind stories that live on the dark side.... or, if you're a Criminal Minds fan, this is a book for you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Killing Lessons.

March 3, 2019 – Started Reading