Sue-Lin Toussaint's Reviews > The Last Thing You Surrender: A Novel of World War II

The Last Thing You Surrender by Leonard Pitts Jr.

U 50x66

Remarkable work of historical fiction that challenges our race notions

I almost NEVER write a review. But because I’ve read other works by this thoughtful author, I waited patiently for this one to be released, and read it with enthusiasm. It might be his best yet. Let me begin by saying I’m a “softy,” and often don’t like when books or movies get too gritty. Yet, I found that he painted pictures that I thought were necessary for us to see how deeply ugly and evil we can be to each out as “human beings.” I would chase my family members, telling them about this book, the characters, reading scenes from the book. I loved the “thickness” of the characters, none of whom were paper-thin. There was one point in the book where I thought I might need to abandon it; I was so fearful that Thelma would make a decision against hope. Yet the author BRILLIANTLY kept me reading, and I was not disappointed. The book was realistic, yet hopeful, and I loved the modern-day message about race that was woven throughout the text. I could go on and on.....my only challenge was the use of the word “n——“ was used so pervasively that I couldn’t listen to the book anymore. I just committed to reading it to completion. My only request is that whoever directed/produced the movie “Mudbound” needs to make this book their next project. This would make an AMAZING MOVIE!” Just prepare yourself...it would be Rated R. This is not one for the kiddies, but it’s definitely a book worth reading. You will fall in love with some of these characters, as imperfect as they might be. I could go on....Well done, Leonard Pitts, Jr.!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Thing You Surrender.

Started Reading
March 3, 2019 – Shelved
March 3, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Kelsey Burnette I share your feelings for this brilliant writer. I’m about half-way through this book. It’s excruciating to read at times, but as you so rightfully point out, necessary and important.

Theresa I am just beginning this book. I read "Freeman" and it too was excruciatingly painful to read, I soldiered through and can honestly say that it was one of the best reads that I've ever read. Mr Pitts is a brilliant writer. After reading Freeman, I know this won't be an easy read; his books are not meant to be that way and neither is life. There is such honesty in his stories and he tells it in brutal eloquence...I approach this next book with trepidation and excitement knowing that I am about to embark on a journey of the mind through his writings.