Blair's Reviews > I Know You Know

I Know You Know by Gilly Macmillan

liked it
bookshelves: read-on-kindle, mystery-thriller-etc, past-and-present, 2018-release, podcast

Fans of the mystery novel that uses a podcast as a plot device (e.g. the Six Stories books and Sadie), rejoice: here's another one. And I'm not yet over the allure of this nascent minigenre – gotta catch 'em all. In I Know You Know, a filmmaker begins digging into a 20-year-old (and seemingly solved) crime. The podcaster, Cody, has personal links to the case – the two murdered boys were his best friends – and he's convinced the wrong man was convicted. As well as transcripts of the podcast episodes, we get the perspectives of two others: the detective who investigated the original case and the mother of one of the boys. It's a skilful, compelling mystery that makes good use of its multiple protagonists, cleverly moving one from unlikeable to sympathetic while simultaneously doing the opposite with another. It's all topped off with a Twist You'll Never See Coming (I mean, I actually didn't see the twist coming at all and yet it actually makes sense – you don't get that every day). Good solid entertainment.

TinyLetter | Twitter | Instagram | Tumblr

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Know You Know.

March 3, 2019 – Started Reading
March 3, 2019 – Shelved
March 4, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Sadie (last edited Mar 08, 2019 04:38AM) (new) - added it

Sadie Sounds just about right - I was sold once you mentioned Sadie, plus, the twist sounds great. Added!

message 2: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Podcast as plot device = yessss! I appreciate you collecting together examples of this subgenre, Blair. :D