Athena Nguyen's Reviews > Master of the Phantom Isle

Master of the Phantom Isle by Brandon Mull

bookshelves: 5-shining-stars, cliffhangers-that-break-you, favorites

5/5 stars. Special thanks to NetGalley and Shadow Mountain Publishing for giving me an early copy of this book.

Master of the Phantom Isle is a fast-paced book that kept me reading all night. I could not put the book down and could not be bothered as I read this book. Mull truly delivered a fantastic continuation of the Dragonwatch series and I was happy to see Kendra and Seth continue their dangerous journeys through this world. There was so much thrill and complexity delivered in this book and my heart was pounding almost every second I was reading this book.

This fast paced book is surprisingly nuanced and deep in the way it delves into light and dark, good and bad. It raises complex questions with no clear cut answers. This is something I have rarely seen in other children/young adult novels and I’m applaud Mull for taking his work to the next level. It also delves into identity, and how experiences, relationships, and values really define who you are.

One person’s character development shined through the novel. In his journey, Seth becomes the most interesting character in the world. With his lack of memory, Seth must find out who he is for better or for worse despite all the odds stacked against him.

The world-building continues to be amazing. Just when I think Mull’s world could not be expanded on more, Mull creates more layers to his already intricate world. Seth visits the Under Realm and Mull takes us through an incredible journey through this mysterious realm.

My only complaints are the couple instances of deus ex machina and how I felt that some of the minor characters weren’t needed.

However, I believe this is Mull’s best book by far and I truly cannot wait for the next installments of the series. Mull continues to raise the stakes and surprise me in his writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Master of the Phantom Isle.

March 3, 2019 – Shelved