Rori's Reviews > Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table

Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichl

Feb 07, 2012

bookshelves: books-read-in-2012

I love food writing. It effectively combines 2 of my favorite things. To me, there are few things more agreeable then a good food memoir. Book # 8, Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichl, the former editor of Gourmet magazine, has been one of the most enjoyable, and easily likeable I've read. Because though this book is essentially about food, it's really about life and how a good meal is more then just nourishment for our bodies, but is a rich experience that can create memories and change our lives.

So it was fun for me to read about the genesis of someone else's love affair with food. You get a picture of the experiences, the memories, the people who were apart of creating Reichl's love story with food. We get to follow her story from food victim, to voracious eater, to enthusiastic cook, and finally food critic. It's like pulling up to the table for a several-coursed feast. The chef sends out plate after plate of delicious, artfully prepared food. You don't want this meal to ever end. But they always do. And when it does, you're aware that you haven't merely been fed, but you have received a gift. Someone's passion, creativity and love have produced the magnificence that you have just consumed. You can appreciate the skill and the time it took to engineer such a masterpiece. You count yourself lucky to have been treated to such a lavish display. And you are full.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tender at the Bone.

February 7, 2012 – Started Reading