Kristopher Kelly's Reviews > Last Days of the Dog-Men: Stories

Last Days of the Dog-Men by Brad    Watson

Feb 07, 2012

bookshelves: favorites

Eight great short stories about people, dogs, life, light, and darkness. Watson can write the hell out of a sentence while telling some of the most surprising stories you're likely to find. These are rough Southern pieces, steeped in an unflinching but fair view of humanity, recommended for serious readers who aren't looking for sentimental Disney-ish stories about people and the pets they love. A few of these qualify in my opinion as flat-out horror stories. So ... be warned. Marley and Me this is not.

Standouts in the collection for me are the title story, "Agnes of Bob," and "Kindred Spirits," but really they're all terrific. I'm always inspired by Watson's prose and gift for the unexpected.

Highly recommended for adventurous readers who don't mind some harsh realism.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Days of the Dog-Men.

February 7, 2012 – Started Reading
February 7, 2012 – Shelved
February 7, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites
February 7, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom Just read "Kindred Spirits" last night in "Grit Lit" anthology. Great story. Last para, in particular, is a splendid bit of writing. If rest of collection matches this one, or comes close, it will be well worth the price. I'm looking up a copy now. Very helpful review. Thanks.

Kristopher Kelly Terrific! I doubt you'll be disappointed in the other stories. Watson's other collection, Aliens in the Prime of Their Lives, is likewise stellar.