Kelly's Reviews > The Cassandra

The Cassandra by Sharma Shields

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2019, dnf, reviewed

Hugely disappointing.

(Full disclosure: I received a free e-ARC for review through NetGalley. Trigger warning for child abuse and racist and misogynist violence, including rape.)

This—the butchery, the dripping floor—was what kingdoms of men did to one another. We were no more than instruments of hatred.

DNF at 65%.

Mildred Groves has always been haunted by visions. Actually, "haunted" is the wrong word: as terrible and disturbing as her visions are, Mildred welcomes them, like an old friend or security blanket. They make her powerful. Different. Unique. Yet they also make her an outcast, a lightening rod, a target for bullies. Turns out that people don't very much like hearing about the calamity that's about to befall them.

Things come to a head not long after the death of her beloved father. At their riverside memorial Mildred pushes her mother into the water. After this she's put on house arrest, of a sort: sentenced to take care of Mother, in all her failing health. An unemployed, friendless spinster at twenty-something. In Mildred's quest to be the perfect daughter, her visions flee soon afterward. So when she has a prophecy that she will be employed at the newly built Hanford Research Center in Washington, helping to defeat Hitler, she eagerly plans her escape.

With her strong secretarial skills and unusual mind, Millie is quickly hired as physicist Dr. Phillip Hall's secretary, where she's privy to sensitive information about "the product" they're developing at Hanford. Her escalating visions, accompanied by bouts of sleepwalking, tell her things, too: glimpses of bodies with the skin melted off, eyeballs oozing into nothing, a river choked with corpses. Yet when she questions the ethics of what they're doing at Hanford - continuing to develop a nuclear weapon even after the surrender of the German forces - she's dismissed as misguided, hysterical, or crazy. Or, worst of all: threatened with dismissal on mental health grounds, sending her straight back to Mother's depressing and oppressive home in Omak.

Part historical fiction, part reimagining of the Greek myth of Cassandra, I thoroughly expected to love The Cassandra. Unfortunately, it's just...not good.

As other reviewers have noted, the characters are all one-dimensional - especially the abusive Mother and sister Martha. They're such caricatures that I wondered for awhile if Mildred might be an unreliable narrator, but I really didn't get any confirmation of this in my reading. Like, Mother deserved to take a tumble into the Okanogan River, and then some. And yet there's no indication that anyone sees Mother and Martha's treatment of Mildred as wrong. Which in itself seems wrong. It's all just really weird and frustrating.

Ditto the rampant sexism, which is certainly appropriate for the era - but, in order to make it somewhat bearable, we need a character who questions, challenges, stands up against it. A contrast or aspiration. Mildred seems the obvious choice, and yet. Nada.

I struggled with DNF'ing this book more than most; even though I hated every minute of it, I found the plot interesting enough to want to know how the story ends. The final nail in the coffin came as I was perusing Goodreads reviews, and saw that Millie is brutally raped at the 70% point. I was 65% in, and that was it for me. I don't appreciate rape scenes to begin with, and I certainly wasn't willing to sit through one for this story.

I usually love the unpopular books - especially feminist scifi written by women - but sadly I'm with the haters here. Hard pass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cassandra.

March 2, 2019 – Started Reading