Becky Soledad's Reviews > Allegiance

Allegiance by Cayla Kluver

Feb 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: net-galley, fantasy, young-adult, 112-in-2012

What I Liked: I enjoyed the second book much more than the first. Kluver has grown a great deal as a writer. While this book was still long it didn't have the same labored feel as the first installment. Alera has grown into a fine young woman and is finding her place as a leader. When she stood up to her father and let him have it I was cheering (maybe out loud.) She proved herself to be strong but not unkind. I still found myself being occasionally annoyed by her but that was mostly because I felt bad for Steldor. Steldor grew on me throughout this book. I didn't dislike him at the end of the last book but I didn't really care about him either. By the end I wanted him to be happy. He truly loved Alera even though he didn't always know the best way to show it. I wanted Alera to give him a chance but in the end I guess I was glad she didn't. In the end I find Alera to be a positive role model for young girls and that makes me happier than anything else.

What I Didn't Like: The book is still far too long and has too many descriptions. This is not something I hold Kluver totally responsible for since it is the editors job to help with these things. Like I said before I wanted Alera to give Steldor a chance. I wanted her to at least try to love him. I know she thought she could. That's a personal preference though. The only other thing that bothered me sometimes was time seemed to be slightly disjointed. Sometimes it seemed to move very fast and others it seemed to move very slow. It was a little confusing at times.

The Verdict: I enjoyed the second installment more than the first and if the third follows this pattern I think I will be totally in love. I can't wait to see what happens next. I can't put the books in my library as they are a little to old for 5th graders but I would definitely recommend for high school libraries or 7th and 8th grade classroom libraries.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Allegiance.

February 7, 2012 – Started Reading