Alok's Reviews > The King of Attolia

The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

bookshelves: fiction, 2019-final-reading-list, adventure, fantasy

"No man can choose to serve only himself when he has something to offer to his state. No one can put his own wishes above the needs of so many."

This was a great follow-up of Queen of Attolia.

(view spoiler)

This introduces a new character and the whole narration revolves around him, mostly. (view spoiler)

This book is really light and (view spoiler). It's really funny filled with clever jokes. Gen is always cracking jokes or being joked about.

"The king couldn’t lie on a deathbed with a sense of dignity."

I loved how well his abilities have been established and none of it seems like ass pull that he's suddenly a superhero. No. (view spoiler)

He reads a lot, cracks jokes, does parkour, sulks, complains, does sword fighting and is generally kind? I really liked this character and found him relatable.

“I am not sure I trust you.”
“You can trust me with your life, My King.”
“But not with my wine, obviously. Give it back.”

One of the main things I didn't like this book was (view spoiler) And how's that ok on next page? Maybe I don't love Attolia as much as I did in the last one.

Except the above point the romance is generally consistent and believable. And people don't need to remove their clothes to express love. I liked that, apparently all this is seriously missing in the so- called romantic books.

It was also hammered in my head that it's Your Majesty and not My Queen till the Queen herself permits. Hm useful information.

The mention of Euclid, Aristophanes, Archimedes and his principle in otherwise entirely fictitious world, I didn't really like that. I think it takes away from the crafted world and confuses the readers. So who else was here? Plato? Socrates? Was Pompeii destroyed or was it hinted in the second book? They already have guns and printed paper, but they don'tr have a lot of other obvious inventions. Makes the world very inconsistent and there could be dozens of famous people and events between Euclid and printing press. I don't know, you begin to question everything.

Still I've very less to criticize and a lot more to praise. Loved this.

Overall a really good addition with main focus on character development and less global stakes in a fantastic fiction series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King of Attolia.

February, 2019 – Started Reading