Alok's Reviews > The Queen of Attolia

The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

bookshelves: 2019-final-reading-list, fiction, adventure, fantasy

4.5 stars, loved it! I really wanted to give 5 but decided against it. See below, massive spoilers.

"Power. What men like best for themselves and least in their women."

This is an excellent book. The adventure, characters, developments, schemes and betrayals are brilliant.

This is so much better than the first. It has more adventure in first three chapters and more things are at stake in the first three chapters than the entire first book. However it's essential to read the first book as it builds so much on the first one.

This one kept me on toes and second guessing. It was predictable in large sense but that was because one of the most important aspects was spoiled to me. I like books which are logical yet unpredictable. This was both and really well done.

I think I fell in love with the Queen of Attolia. the titular character. She was written consistently and (view spoiler)

The transition from Eddis to Attolia and back, paragraph to paragraph without anything distinctive to separate them out was something new for me but I loved how well it was handled and one could always figure out what was being described. I'm not a fan of third person omniscient narration but this was well done without much inconsistency.

It's not perfect though. A map would have been really helpful for all the geography points. And this applies to all the books in this series.

The false narration just for the sake of confusing users and then making a twist (view spoiler) looked like poor writing.

This was my only major complaint about this book - (view spoiler)

This was the main reason why I removed half star and not added it to my favorite shelf. Also not a fan of God's intervention to move the plot forward but I think it was established in the first book that they do.

Overall really high point of a fantastic fantasy series. (I've yet to read part 4 and 5)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen of Attolia.

February, 2019 – Started Reading