Rosie Rizk's Reviews > Kissing Magic

Kissing Magic by Day Leitao

liked it
bookshelves: crown, developed-characters, ok, strong-female

Portal fantasy & YA romance. There's a bunch of awkward YA first romance moments. A lot of eyeroll worthy miscommunication errors to enhance the plot and romantic conflict. Aside from that, which is sadly not unexpected for YA, I enjoyed the book.

There's an interesting magical world that mixes magic with technology almost on par with our own. The MC has a lot of magical power, but barely any idea of how to use it. Mostly. I liked the characters. They were complex and interesting and well fleshed out.

I liked that lover boy was a power hungry evil guy. It was a good change from the usual handsome hero cliche. And even though the MC acted like a sweet damsel at times, it was done in a realistic way. Yeah, sometimes she's a little weak and needs help from friends. But she'll get back up and blow up her problems right after.

I didn't read the first book. As with any sequel, I felt that I was missing some background story at times, but for the must part, everything was clearly explained. It can definitely be read as a standalone.

All said, it was an enjoyable book. Lots of YA romance. I recommend it for YA fans.

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kissing Magic.