Stephanie Griffin's Reviews > Daughter of the Forest

Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier

Feb 07, 2012

liked it
Read from February 07 to March 02, 2012

07/29/12 ***I just realized that this is a reworking of the Grimm Brothers' THE TWELVE BROTHERS***

DAUGHTER OF THE FOREST, the first entry in Juliet Marillier’s Sevenwater Trilogy, is a rather plain vanilla fantasy set in what would be Ireland and Great Britain. This is also Marillier’s first fantasy series. The story revolves around Sorcha, the seventh child of a seventh son, who is required by the Lady of the Forest to attempt a vexing task in order to save her six brothers from a curse put on them. It’s a pretty basic good versus evil story, with a few supernatural elements thrown in.
Young Sorcha leaves her family for three years in order to accomplish her task and endures many hardships.
In my opinion, the weakness of the book is that the “exciting” scenes were lacking some excitement. On the positive side, it’s a nice story that’s fit for YA readers.
This would be a good introductory book for someone who is just beginning to read fantasy books, as it isn’t a very complicated world compared to other series.
I liked the fact that all of the main characters were flawed in some way – not overwhelmingly, but enough that it made them more realistic. Overall, I would recommend DAUGHTER OF THE FOREST for your reading pleasure.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughter of the Forest.