Berit☀️✨'s Reviews > The Girl He Used to Know

The Girl He Used to Know by Tracey Garvis Graves

bookshelves: 2019, arc

An extraordinary love story brimming with heart, hope , and second chances!

Tracey Garvis Graves has stolen my heart with this evocative and emotional story. I read “On the Island” A few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Going into this book I knew I was going to be treated to brilliantly developd characters and an intriguing storyline. What I was not prepared for was The emotional toll this book would have on my heart! This book both destroyed me and pieced me back together again. I seriously feel a little squeeze on my heart just thinking about this book! If you enjoy stories with characters that will worm their way into your heart then this is a can’t miss!

The story bounces between 1991 and 2001 and is told from both Annika and Jonathan‘s perspectives. In 1991 both Annika and Jonathan are attending the University of Illinois, where they meet while attending chess club. Anica is a bit socially awkward, a little anxious, a little oversensitive to her surroundings. She is on the autism spectrum, however in 1991 this was not a common diagnosis so people saw her as quirky or just plain weird. Jonathan was immediately drawn to Annika and saw through to who she truly was inside. What follows is a beautiful and intense romance that was so special to read about. Watching Jonathan so tenderly and cautiously try to understand Annika and her needs was so sweet! He legitimately made my heart melt, I might’ve fallen a little in love with him myself. Sadly tragedy struck and the couple was torn apart. 10 years later Monica was at the grocery store when she hears a familiar voice, it must be fate because there is Jonathan in the bread aisle. Anica and Jonathan try to rekindle the flame, but has too much already happened to prevent this? Can Annika and Jonathan open their hearts up to each other again, regardless of the past?

In case you missed it, I really loved this book! The characters popped off the pages and the story was so well told. There is something about a second chance romance that really resonates with me. It’s definitely not that I want a second chance with anyone I’ve ever been with *shutters* I think it is the idea of hope, and this book had that in abundance.

Beautiful and moving, I cannot recommend this book enough, be sure to have Kleenex on hand before reading!

*** many thanks to St. Martin’s Press for my copy of this book ***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl He Used to Know.

March 2, 2019 – Shelved
March 2, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
March 31, 2019 – Started Reading
March 31, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
March 31, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
April 3, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Nadia Great review!! 🌹

Deanna Excellent review!!

Michelle This still is one of my all-time favorites. So glad you loved it just as much!

message 4: by KAS (new) - rated it 4 stars

KAS Awesome review, Berit!! Glad you enjoyed this wonderful, unique read, as well ;) 💚🌺💚

Meredith Fabulous review, Berit! Glad you enjoyed this too!

Maria Such a beautifully written review. Your passion for this book certainly shines through. I was already looking forward to this read, but now I can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

message 7: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Super review Berit 💕

Amber Great review Berit. I’m really excited to read this one.

message 9: by Misty (new) - added it

Misty Lovely review, Berit! I’d love to read this soon.

message 10: by Selena (new)

Selena Beautiful review Berit!

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Excellent review! 🌞👍 Indeed, this was a very special book 💗🔰

Jayme Terrific review! I am looking forward to reading this one !!

message 13: by DeAnn (new) - added it

DeAnn Outstanding review, hope I can get to this one soon!

message 14: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Excellent review Berit!💖😉

Susanne  Strong Glad you loved this one Berit!

message 16: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Fantastic review! Sounds like I need to read it.