Karen's Reviews > The Art of Visual Notetaking: An interactive guide to visual communication and sketchnoting

The Art of Visual Notetaking by Emily  Mills

190448

This book is fantastic!

I am always fascinated by the videos and pictures of people taking visual notes as they listen to a lecture. I wish I were that talented and able to not only listen to, process but distill and visualize information so quickly and well.

This book breaks down the process for you step by step and highlights all the important factors in creating a visual representation. Emily makes sure to mention all the "basics" that are really the crucial aspects of where to sit, how to listen, how to prioritize and how to plan.

Then she talks about handwriting which she breaks down to simple steps and shows you exactly what you need to practice to get to a place that you like for yourself.

And then comes the part that I consider the hardest: the visuals. Here, too, Emily is fantastic at breaking it down and introducing a concept I'd never heard before called leveling it up where you start with the basics and keep adding to them in little bits to make it better and better.

Emily also talks about adding color, creating a visual library, headers, containers, correcting mistakes, using metaphors and other parts of your visual notetaking journey. Like with all the other chapters, she builds it up in a very consumable, practical way that makes it look achievable.

Like everything else, the only way to really get good at this is by lots and lots of practice which she makes a point of mentioning and giving lots of examples of her progression so you know what pace to expect and she also has exercises at the end of each chapter so you can practice what you just learned.

I know she makes it look much easier than it is and it will take a lot lot lot of practice but this book is inspiring and informative and encouraging in all the right ways. If you're even remotely interested in this area I cannot recommend it enough.

thank you to netgalley and the publisher for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Visual Notetaking.

March 2, 2019 – Started Reading
March 2, 2019 – Shelved
March 2, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Emily Mills Thanks for your review, Karen! I appreciate you taking the time to read and type up your thoughts. :)