Shannon's Reviews > Throne of the Crescent Moon

Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed

bookshelves: fantasy-scifi, books-reviewed, reviews-that-need-pics-added

This debut novel inspired by “One Thousand and One Nights” is a fantasy setting which is refreshingly in a non Anglo-French environment. The tale focuses on several different viewpoints but most notably on an old ghul hunter (one of the last of his kind in the area) named Adoulla who is unusually loving and faithful towards his capitol city but sometimes poor at expressing his feelings towards the people he cares about. He has a few close people to him who all end up appearing in his life in different roles during the unfolding of this tale.

As Adoulla's ghul hunting continues he eventually discovers something larger and more sinister (not much of a surprise in a fantasy tale, right?) and along the way picks up some more allies. It's a good tale but the best part is the Arabian flavor simply because I hardly see it well done. This is an exception. Magic is on the uncommon to rare side and is usually temporarily or permanently taxing. The division between the nobility/royalty and the commoners was spot on. I hate it when those debut fantasy novels have the nobility hanging out with the commoners and befriending them just because they're super nice people. Puke. Adoulla's flawed love relationship was more appealing than the one of his assistant, Raseed. I would say the love interest of Raseed was the weakest supporting character as he was very much the archetype.

I have listed more extensive details about the novel in the spoiler section below. Unlike another novel I read recently this series leaves enough things open or kept mysterious enough for me to want to pick up the next book.

WRITING STYLE/PROSE/WORD FLOW: B plus; WORLD FOCUSES: B plus; CHARACTERS/DIALOGUE: B to B plus; STORY/PLOTTING: B; WHEN READ: March to April 2012 (revised review end of June 2012); OVERALL GRADE: B plus.

** SPOILERS **

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Throne of the Crescent Moon.

February 6, 2012 – Shelved
April 8, 2012 –
page 7
2.55% "Holds promise. Time will tell."
April 21, 2012 –
April 29, 2012 – Finished Reading
October 26, 2012 – Shelved as: fantasy-scifi
April 17, 2013 – Shelved as: books-reviewed
April 3, 2014 – Shelved as: reviews-that-need-pics-added

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton Wasn't this Hugo nominated? How does a B+ book get a Hugo nomination?

Shannon Why would that factor into the way I grade a novel?

Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton StoryTellerShannon wrote: "Why would that factor into the way I grade a novel?"

I think you have the relationship backwards...I'm not asking why you would give it a B+...I'm asking (rhetorically, perhaps), how a B+ got a Hugo nomination. I trust your judgement more than I do the Hugo voters.

Shannon Ah, it's a good to very good novel.

I'd say about half of the novels which get nominated or win are worth a look. Willis' DOOMSDAY BOOK is an example.

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

message 5: by Amber (new)

Amber Great review Shannon!

@Daniel - in my world, if a book earns B+ thats pretty damn good. Most books earn C's and D's, especially in Fantasy. B+ books might have just been the best fantasy that came out that year.

Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton Yeah...I read Dooms Day Book. Pretty good book, but I thought it was a bit over rated. Good writing--average science-fiction.

(But that didn't stop me from picking up To Say Nothing of the Dog last week)

Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton Amber wrote: "Great review Shannon!

Perhaps...but I think there were some really good pieces of fiction last year, books that didn't even get a nod, and A-worthy, at that. Further, given that the Hugo is fan-based, rather than critic-based, I've become a skeptic about it.

But back to StoryTellerShannon's review: none of that is meant to diminish or take away from your very excellent analysis. In any respect, I've got it in my pile to read this year.

message 8: by Amber (new)

Amber You have good point Daniel. A lot of authors rally there fans to go vote for them.

Don't you even have to join to vote? Pretty sure that was why I didn't vote last year...but maybe that was some other award.

I agree, it's sad when you don't see the books you thought were really excellent on these lists. I'm not sure how they even put the lists together, I was just throwing out a guess LOL.

But yes, great review Shannon, as I said above. Loved the detail.

Shannon Thanks, Amber and Daniel.

I am a hard grader some say so a B plus is worth a look. In fact, if you read a lot and are not into the genre then I would only consider something I give a B plus or higher to and probably B minus if you love the genre.

Daniel: Yeah, it's a subjective vote for some of these novels. Have you read Zelazny's NINE PRINCES IN AMBER?

Nine Princes in Amber

Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton StoryTellerShannon wrote: "Thanks, Amber and Daniel.

Not yet...but it sounds like you think I should? I'll add it in.

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber Is that a good book?
I have been thinking of reading it because...well...it has my name.

And I think it will be funny for people to see me reading a book with a title that could be taken kinda offensively if they actually know me.

Maybe thats a stupid reason to read a book, but whatever.

Shannon Here's my review of the novel:

Shannon FRIEND: "So which series are you reading these days, Amber?"

Dramatic pause.

AMBER: "The Book of Amber."

FRIEND: "Whatevaaaaaah!"

message 14: by Amber (new)

Amber LOL!

Shannon Come to think of it there is an old book titled FOREVER AMBER. I saw the movie. Heh.

Forever Amber

message 16: by Amber (new)

Amber hmm, I'll have to see if thats on Netflix....

If I watch the movie first I will enjoy it and want to read the book.
If I read the book first, I'll just be a total wretch about the movie. LOL.

Shannon From what I am told back in its day that novel was a major bestseller but be warned it's like an epic style romance adventure tale similar to GONE WITH THE WIND.

Evgeny If you are interested in fantasy in Arabian Nights - like settings, you might like The Chronicles of Sword and Sand by Howard Andrew Jones

message 19: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie Hmmm, sounds interesting - I might check that last one out, too!

@StoryTellerShannon: Did you just update your review, BTW?