Gerardo Delgadillo's Reviews > Two Like Me and You

Two Like Me and You by Chad Alan Gibbs

liked it

3.5 out of 5 stars

I received an e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.

First of all, take a minute to enjoy TWO LIKE ME AND YOU’s cover … Done? It’s cool, isn’t it?

Let’s start from the start, which, sorry to say, felt like backstory. It’s the case of a novel taking off in the wrong place. The story really kicks off around the fifteen-percent mark, when our heroes meet Garland. That’s a lot of reading before getting to the gist of the story, but I didn’t DNF’ed and survived.

Once we meet the old man, things get interesting and quirky enough to spark the reader’s interest. However, big chunks of dialog, where the speaker babbles for a long-long time, are quite distracting. This mainly happens when Garland tells incredible stories that sound like history lessons. Other characters also feature their own gabbing moments, too. This is indeed pretty unengaging and a little on the academic’s or author’s intrusion’s side. Narrative is a tad too heavy for young adult, but it works okay.

Aside from these distractions, I loved Parker’s personality–quirky and very sure of herself and, of course, Garland, who just does and says whatever he wants. Also, ignoring the slow start, the story moves forward at a decent pace, crazy things happen, crazier stuff happens, and it’s actually very good. Good, until reaching the last chapters where things I can’t talk about without giving spoilers happened way too fast.

In summary, a novel with a slow start that gets very interesting as it advances. It’s good.

More on my blog: https://gerardowrites.wordpress.com/2...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Like Me and You.

March 1, 2019 – Shelved