Tricia Mingerink's Reviews > The Lady and the Wish

The Lady and the Wish by J.M. Stengl

bookshelves: general-market-ya, general-market-fantasy, fairy-tale-retellings

This book is so adorable! I knew it would be funny and sweet and perfect as the rest of the Faraway Castle series, and it didn't disappoint.

I was super excited for this book. Not only does it feature a fairy tale that isn't retold that often (King Thrushbeard), but the main girl in the book was the mean girl, almost villainess, in earlier books in this series. I was excited to see how the author brought Gillian from the spoiled, thoughtless, prince-pursuing girl she was in the first three books to someone a reader would want to spend a whole book with.

Gillian's change of heart was brought about really well! Her motivations were very clearly shown for why she did the things she did in the earlier books and she started out the book so insufferably self-centered. But there were still enough hints of who she could be that, as the reader, I didn't want to stop reading even when I was annoyed with Gillian.

Lady B was hilarious! And Manny was so adorable! I guessed the whole twist with him right away (I mean, this is a fairy tale retelling. It is kind of obvious). But in some ways, knowing the twist added to me wondering when Gillian would figure it out and how she would react.

Of all the books in the series, the book ended with a very soft, somewhat easy ending without some of the danger of earlier books. But I didn't mind. It seemed to fit this book since the plot wasn't so much about stopping an evil princess from waking up or overcoming huge magical barriers, but about Gillian becoming a good person.

I really can't wait for the next book in this series! Each of the Faraway Castle books are so adorable and it has become one of my favorite series of fairy tale retellings!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lady and the Wish.

March 1, 2019 – Shelved