Amy Bruno's Reviews > Those Who Are Loved

Those Who Are Loved by Victoria Hislop

bookshelves: ebook-galley, for-blog-tour, for-review, historical-fiction, greece, on-my-kindle, read-in-2019, wwii

I've been reading a lot of WWII books this year but what sets Those Who Are Loved by Victoria Hislop is that it is set in Greece. I've yet to read anything about the German occupation of Greece so it was fascinating, and of course, heartbreaking and infuriating. This book had all the feels!

Themis is a young woman when the Nazis invade her homeland. She and her siblings live with their grandmother, and the politics of the day divide the siblings, which is frightening similar to what is happening to families around the world today with regards to the left and right. In the book, we see how the invasion of the Germans and then the British affect Themis, her friends, and her family. It was absolutely engrossing!

Hislop is a master at bringing the atrocities that happened to Greece and it's people during this tumultuous time in history to life. Beautifully written and well-researched, Those Who Have Lost is why I read historical fiction. I will never forget Themis or what happened to the people of Greece. And I sincerely hope we don't have to live through something like that again. Be warned...have tissues ready!

This is my first read from Victoria Hislop but I loved her writing so I'm going to go and pick up her other books. I love finding a new author that I can binge!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Those Who Are Loved.

March 1, 2019 – Shelved